Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    It will be a long wait until they post the final cast list tomorrow! This is a huge deal for dd11--the first thing she asked about last year when she found out we were moving was if she would be able to be in the play (the timing didn't work out so she didn't get to do it at old school or new school).

She finished 5th here, then skipped 6th, and started the year knowing only one 7th grade boy. She is doing well (and after failing the first social studies test, she has now brought her grade back up to a 95). She has all As so far except for an 88 in math (90 is an A) and my mom actually said she thinks the B in math is evidence she shouldn't have skipped (head desk).

BUT--she is passionate about theater, so I am hoping she gets a part in the play. I'm glad she is confident and thinks she has a chance for the lead (Millie) but there is a huge amt. of talent at this school, and kids who have had acting/voice lessons for years, including the girl who had the lead last year.

Regardless, even if she is in the ensemble it will be a great way for her to make friends, and for the director to see what she can do for the future. Fingers crossed for her!

A
    A
    You know, whether she earns a spot or not, just having the courage to put herself out there and take the risk is huge. Here's hoping she gets a part that let's her shine!

D
    D
    Hoping for her, Deacongirl!

DeeDee

D
    OP Offline
    D
    sh*t ya'll--she called at 9:15 asking me to bring a permission slip she had forgotten and sounded upset. When I asked if she was OK she started crying, said something about orchestra, and then hung up--I think she was embarrassed to be crying in the office. I e-mailed her homeroom/social studies teacher to check on her and she said M. told her the audition didn't go well but she didn't want to talk about it. I feel so bad for my sweet girl--I think she would rather have done her best in the audition and still not get a part than mess it up. Ugh. She wanted this so badly. I know it is life but it has been a hard year for her--she also didn't make the chamber orchestra (I was slow in finding a private violin teacher for her) so I was hoping this would go well.

Hopefully she will be OK and still have a good time and make some friends doing the play. I hate having to wait until 4:45 to find out what happened.

Last edited by deacongirl; 10/08/12 10:34 AM.
    E
    E
    Rats. I'm sorry that it didn't go well. Theater departments are often run on the earned merit system, so novices often are assigned esnsemble/chorus despite superior talent. If she doesn't get cast at all, working backstage with props /costumes/etc will do a lot for her future roles. Hope she gets good news!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Evemomma
    Rats. I'm sorry that it didn't go well. Theater departments are often run on the earned merit system, so novices often are assigned esnsemble/chorus despite superior talent. If she doesn't get cast at all, working backstage with props /costumes/etc will do a lot for her future roles. Hope she gets good news!

Well, the good news is that they don't cut people so she will be in the ensemble. I had my friends in the business talk to her about paying dues (she listens better to professionals than to mom!). I hope she is just reasonably upset and not devasated. And now my mother is again saying that she has too much pressure. GAH. She wanted to do this herself. I mean do you prevent your child from trying for something because she might fail? How the heck is she supposed to learn resilience? Still--I wish that wasn't the lesson to come out of the audtion process. I hope she can still be positive about the play. I just hate for her to be feeling bad.

E
    E
    Absolutely trying out and not getting is a valuable life lesson. I remember sooooo much more the time I tried out for middle school cheerleading and tanked, applying to be a British Marshal scholar in college only to be told they don't accept "soft sciences" and applying to jobs I didn't get. I've forgotten much of the did-win's.

And frankly, as someone who was in plays during middle/high school/and community theater...the best times I ever had was being in the ensemble. More time to hang around and have fun! Being the lead isn't all it's cracked up to be IMO.

C
    C
    deacongirl,

best thing about the play is the family they create! in my (limited) experience, everyone is accepted for who they are and what they bring to the table. my dd LOVES theatre and math and field hockey. She has learned the most from theatre and field hockey. She learned she had to work and hustle to get what she wanted and then she had to work and hustle to keep her spot, there were no guarantees. I am eternally grateful for those lessons, because she certainly didn't get them from the academic side ( things come way too easy for her, ESP. in math, where she is taking Honors Geo/Trig as a 8 th Grader)
    in theatre and field hockey, she has to prove herself everyday, the coaches want them to strive for perfection, so they can achieve excellence!
    it is a hard lesson to learn, esp. for a child where everything comes easy, but she will be the better for it. The ensemble is a great place, tons of fun and family and the director will see her commitment and remember for next year. and if she is anything like my daughter, she will be tutoring the rest of the ensemble during downtimes. the kids all came to her for math help.
    good luck with your evening tonight, it might be a rough one, btdt...

callie
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Crud. Ensemble. I know she has to pay her dues and these are life lessons. I am just sad for my girl tonight (lots and lots of tears). I do think it will be a positive experience and am hopeful she will make some friends. And yes, we have explained to her that she was an unknown and this is her chance to impress the director with her dedication.

E
    E
    Just because lessons are necessary, doesn't mean they're easy to watch when your kid is being battered by them. Hugs to your dd (and you).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM