Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    YMMV, of course, but I found "You're so smart" comments to be horribly isolating, not head-swelling. It's like they put me on a pedestal to get rid of me. I would have done almost anything to avoid them.

It also quickly led me to believe that anyone who said these things had no idea what they were talking about, since they were blown away by the things I wasn't working at. I guess disrespecting them could come off as swollen headed- but it has a different origin. I don't think I'm remarkably smart, just that they are remarkably unperceptive. In the end, acknowledging how much I was different from others and finding a few peers is what made it possible for me to be generous to most people.

Just my personal experience.

ETA: I think it's related to considering the source. The smartest people I knew thought I was normal to underachieving, so that's how I saw myself. I also really craved the feeling of normalcy - I would have resisted anything that said I wasn't when I finally found peers.

Last edited by ljoy; 10/08/12 12:25 PM.
    I think that my DD's experiences are very similar to ljoy's. She LOATHES the "ohhhhhh... genius" comments.

My mother was also terribly anxious about producing an "arrogant" child, and spend a LOT of time 'correcting' me anytime I drew any attention to myself whatsoever-- often via seeking information or making observations.

I caution parents about that now-- because her constant sniping at me about how I wasn't worthy of thinking so highly of myself, I should think less of myself, keep quiet since nobody wanted my opinion/questions.... I wasn't compassionate, that I was selfish, etc.

Yeah-- bigtime imposter syndrome and very poor self-esteem. Being HG is a core part of my identity. It's who I am. Having to deny that or (from a child's perspective) jeopardize my mother's love for me... wow. Talk about Faustian. I'm also extremely introverted, but also extremely empathetic and socially skilled. My mom's view of me was simply WRONG, and it was based on her own misconceptions and baggage.

One thing that I think is important here is that kids who are globally advanced (and accelerated 2+ years) can misinterpret the information that they have regarding their relative strengths. My daughter, too, thinks that she is "bad at math." Why? Because my 13yo has had to actually work at anything past geometry, that's why. The rest of her academic life is more or less effortless. AP physics this year has been a positive revelation to her-- it's frankly rocked her world a bit.

She also has a HG friend (unaccelerated) who is in her grade now and has become best friends with her. 3yrs her senior, he and she are the first true peers that either of them has ever found that they had interests in common with. The problem, though, is that my DD has (quite wrongly) assumed that her friend is "bright, but not exceptionally so" and is therefore interpreting the two of them being about on par with one another academically as her being "nothing out of the ordinary" yet again. Neither one of them really has to work much at schoolwork, and top marks just... fall out of that. Don't they for everyone? wink

In other words, from an emotional standpoint, if she can FIND a way to spin information to make herself seem less worthy, less intelligent, less likable, more awkward, etc... she seems to gravitate to it.

I'm not so worried about arrogance as I am about finding a way for my child to have an authentic and honest inner voice that isn't sniping at her and hellbent on cutting her down at every opportunity.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM