Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #139834 10/06/12 12:04 PM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I asked our school psychologist how to update/amend my son's IEP, and apparently the whole IEP team must meet. They seem really nice, so hopefully it won't be a big deal.
    His IEP right now only lists as his problem that he is hearing impaired. However, we have documented that he also has an auditory processing disorder but that isn't on the IEP. I'm thinking we should put that in- the two disorders are not the same thing.
    I thought about this since my son recently didn't turn in his big, 6-page research paper he wrote. He said the teacher specifically said "do not turn it in," so he didn't. However, I later figured out that she said to turn it and everyone turned it in, except him. I explained it to the teacher and she said, no problem, and accepted it late.
    However, maybe sometime a teacher would not be so flexible, right? I figure we should write something in the IEP about that.
    Has anyone gone through this- adding new diagnoses to the IEP or adding new accommodations? Will they balk at this or say, sure thing? Thanks for any input!

Last edited by jack'smom; 10/06/12 12:04 PM.
    jack'smom #139835 10/06/12 01:46 PM
    P
    P
    Sadly we had to add a whole host of new diagnoses and new accommodations to DD's IEP after her last neuropsych eval. There should be no problem having it added as long as it's documented. IMHO there is no reason to have to rely on the kindness or understanding of any individual teacher. This is a legitimate issue for your DS so should be included in his IEP.

jack'smom #139838 10/06/12 03:21 PM
    P
    P
    We haven't had to add a new diagnosis, but we have updated our ds' IEP without having the full team meet - in our school, if the change was something that the full team agreed on, the change could be made by requesting it via phone or email, the school SPED staff member updated the document, and forwarded the update to us. The times we did this were when we wanted to add or clarify an accommodation.

In this case, I would start by thinking through what accommodation you'd like to have to avoid misunderstandings/misinterpretations of homework assignments, and are there any other accommodations you think should be added for CAPD? If you know what you want to ask for and it's straightforward, call whoever coordinates the IEP at your school and ask if it could be updated without a full team meeting. If you're not sure what to ask for or want to have a brainstorming session with teachers etc, call a team meeting for the update.

FWIW, I think that with the added diagnosis of CAPD you might want to add not just the diagnosis but some descriptive wording to the IEP that explains the impact of CAPD. I don't have an IEP form in front of me at the moment, so I don't remember which part you add that type of info in, but if nowhere else at least in the parents' remarks.

Another upside to having a team meeting for this is it gives you an opportunity to talk to ds' teachers and the SPED staff about how CAPD impacts your ds in the classroom.

Good luck!

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM