Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Z
    Z
    Got curious about this Remind101 about and went to the site. Seems that parents can subscribe to the same messages as their kids and no phone numbers are actually exchanged in process. I think teachers can also schedule a reminder for a future date; so, they can integrate reminders with their curriculum and parents/students can subscribe as they see fit.

re: JonLaw and Apple... me too, Mac was such a crushing disillusionment from the AppleII (the hacker device where you could open it and swap chips and rewrite the ROM, etc.) The first Mac was a bundled, packaged, protected mini-empire that was the antithesis of the spirit that made Apple a success in the first place.

E
    E
    And I thought not having apple products made me "out of the loop" -sounds more modern to be called a "conscientious objector". BTW, my BIL who runs the IT division of a big pharma company also has "Mac baggage " and will not partake.

CCN...

I'm also not anti giving kids an iPad (we don't have one...but I would love to get some sort of larger tablet eventually for the kids to share - would rather that than a ninetendo ds). But sending it to school seems crazy. We sent my ds' 3 year-old Leapster with the conditions that we were not replacing or repairing any damage due to irresponsibility. It came home unharmed - he proudly announced he'd gotten to share it with a few kids who didn't bring anything.

Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Got curious about this Remind101 about and went to the site. Seems that parents can subscribe to the same messages as their kids and no phone numbers are actually exchanged in process. I think teachers can also schedule a reminder for a future date; so, they can integrate reminders with their curriculum and parents/students can subscribe as they see fit.

re: JonLaw and Apple... me too, Mac was such a crushing disillusionment from the AppleII (the hacker device where you could open it and swap chips and rewrite the ROM, etc.) The first Mac was a bundled, packaged, protected mini-empire that was the antithesis of the spirit that made Apple a success in the first place.

As a college prof, the issue with tech is meeting them where the students are - we are online and have apps because that's where the world is, in someways it's better, allows us to do stuff we couldn't, like real time participation during the presidential debate as opposed to the next time I saw them.

Interestingly about ABQmom's note about cell phones, studies of poor communities around the world have found that more and more are bridging the digital divide by smart phones as they are much much cheaper than computers. It would not be surprising for poorer families to have Internet access via cell rather than computer. However, I agree there has to be a means for non tech users to have access.

But it also seems like this really gets to what a lot of MS parents here seem to complain about - their dc's having the assignment and taking responsibility. This did seem like a way to do what we are doing, reach the kids where they are.

Disillusioned Mac users - jobs biography has a fascinating discussion of the fallout between Wozniak and jobs over closed versus open tech. Wozniak has a wonderfully
    Zen disucssion of jobs and concedes that tech people hate jobs closed approach but that jobs was really about the non tech masses, people who just want it to work, new maps app notwithstanding smile

DeHe

DH is a tech guy. Which may be why we have two japanese abacusses and a slide rule in regular use, not counting the western style abacuses we tend to draw on bits of paper whenever needed!

Wait, two abacusses and a check-cloth.

My boss once raced me to do some video-timing, his calculator against my pocketful of change and hand-drawn abacus; archaeophylia is catching, I think he's a mac-and -abacus guy now wink

The computers are *all* broken. This one still works (ipad) but the screen is cracked.

I occaisionally wonder what the grade three teacher is going to think of DS's rough work, when he up and starts drawing wierd lines all over and moving pennies around....

But: on topic... I an totally enamoured of text messaging. It and email saved my social life. I can even sometimes send a text when I'm in a bad mood. AND I can double check what some one said to see if I understood it right. I'm MUCH less offensive in text. Really. I luv txt.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Disillusioned Mac users - jobs biography has a fascinating discussion of the fallout between Wozniak and jobs over closed versus open tech. Wozniak has a wonderfully
    Zen disucssion of jobs and concedes that tech people hate jobs closed approach but that jobs was really about the non tech masses, people who just want it to work, new maps app notwithstanding...

Yes-- my DH and I understood this transformation completely after my mother, ca. 1995, (in)famously deleted the contents of her 'system' folder on her Apple IIe because she (and I'm quoting here)....

looked at all of that stuff and decided that it didn't make any sense to her anyway, and it was just taking up space in that folder on the desktop. So she deleted it to tidy things up a bit.
    shocked eek

Yes. Building a PUI/GUI for someone like THAT? Very, very different matter than for someone like me or my DH. Bulletproof takes on a whole new meaning with a person who is perfectly willing to delete anything that doesn't seem useful on the human side, KWIM? DH and I? We would be Woz's people... but my mom sure wasn't. I've since learned that she's probably a lot more typical of where most people fall on this spectrum, realistically.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM