Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
    Originally Posted by bzylzy
    I always tread very lightly with the teacher. It's the same one as last year since they loop. I have to sign the spelling tests and there is always one or more errors with the grading...either words DD spelled wrong marked correct or visa versa.

We noticed a lot of grading issues, too. Occasionally it would be a correct answer marked wrong, but more often it'd be a paper with nothing corrected. I'd look at those and think, "What was the point of this exercise?" How will a child learn from mistakes if the mistakes aren't pointed out? Instead, the child is merely practicing and reinforcing bad habits.

B
    B
    That's a great thing that you DD said about the cup, Dude! By pure coincidence, DD, who was home today for a district-wide day off, said at the end of her very happy and productive day that she changed her mind about homeschooling. But I think we might aim for her simply not returning after winter break, give us a chance to get organized and it's a natural break. She feels she can cope until then and seemed lightened up.

It's true about the spelling words in the book. At least one word per week she's copied down wrong in her book and still gets a "star", and because of that starts using it that way in sentences etc. We always have stressful discussions about that and I make her look it up in the dictionary, and what is most upsetting to me is that it puts a wedge between us because they're supposed to respect the teacher, it's very important...but why do you have to choose between respect and learning correct things like how words are spelled? It's crazy!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Yes, it always seems so horrible until it's worked out. I don't want to miss any detail that might be the key to successful advocacy, and when it looks like it's going bad, it feels like all or nothing. Then finally when it's over, and I start to feel better, I think to myself "wow, it was not as hard as you made it out to be" It's a confidence thing and lack of control, I believe. It's hard to say, I did what I could and this is what I have. The end.
    At least now, I KNOW it's going to be like that. So, I set aside time, knowing advocacy will be my focus.
    This year, it looked like we had gone as far as we could, then out of the blue, another person cropped up who had never met dd, advocated for her all the way to the district, failed, advocated to the principal, and bypassed the roadblock of a GT teacher. Amazing. All without me lifting a finger. I like it but, geez, wouldn't it be nice if MY work paid off?

MON, we've had this experience too. The stress and the way it turns out, both. I have learned to think of all those folks whose work on my DS's behalf pays off as "my extensive staff." :-)

DeeDee

F
    F
    does anyone have MAP results yet?

ds (fall first grade)
    reading 190
    math 223

L
    L
    Yeah. Dd10, gr5:
    Math. 242
    Reading. 241
    Gen Sci. 242
    Science processes. 236

We are at a private, or we wouldn't be getting the MAP at all in CA. She's never taken it before.

As I read the charts this puts her at 98-99th for her grade, equal to roughly 90th percentile overall for 7-8th grades. Is this right?

I'm kind of in shock because she's not a high achiever and her output level (speed and quantity) is about 3rd grade. Maybe less. Bringing her up to speed so she can show her stuff in middle school next year is going to be a real challenge.

F
    F
    93rd for 9th grade reading
    93rd for 6th grade math

very nice scores!

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM