Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    #13903 04/17/08 01:56 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    DH shared this story with me last night, had to go to a meeting. And I thought it was indicative of non-traditional markers. I would like to hear similar stories to see maturity behaviors as markers for gifted.

They went out for Chinese and DD3 was behaving with total princess manners so DH told her she could have a surprise. She wanted to know what the surprise was and eventually he told her he was taking her for ice cream. Now ice cream had never been a "surprise" before. Anyway, they head over to B&J and she tells him she wants vanilla with rainbow sprinkles. She then goes and sits at a table and closes her eyes. He comes to the table with ice cream and she opens her eyes and feigns surprise and excitement.

Ren

Wren #13906 04/17/08 03:56 AM
    Isa Offline
    Cute story!

DD4.5 has/had often the same kind of behavior but it never occured to me that this was a sing of giftedness (gifted denial?) only of megacuteness smile

Isa #13913 04/17/08 06:09 AM
    Isa Offline
    Actually, now that I think of it I have a story to share:

The other day DD4.5 was wearing to school a fake medal that she got on a birthday party. When she entered the classroom another boy made her a remark and then she came to me, remove the medal and said:
    "I should not wear it because the other children may think that I have win something when in fact I have not."

Dottie #13937 04/17/08 07:05 AM
    Very sweet! I always keep a list of "cute kid stories" as an email draft, and when I get enough I send them off to grandmas and friends. I don't know about signs of giftedness, but there are definitely times I will edit out some of the cute kid stories, depending on the recipient, because I think the story will not be believed.

Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Very sweet! I always keep a list of "cute kid stories" as an email draft, and when I get enough I send them off to grandmas and friends. I don't know about signs of giftedness, but there are definitely times I will edit out some of the cute kid stories, depending on the recipient, because I think the story will not be believed.

so, would you share some of these stories?

Isa #13949 04/17/08 07:31 AM
    OK, here are some cute kids stories from when he was 3 1/2:

We had rain that froze on top of snow outside. DS was outside, digging around, and he exclaimed, "I'm ice-cavating!"

At a birthday party for a preschool classmate, DS looks at the juice box he was handed and says, �it says no sugar added. That�s not what I like.� I had to convince him that there was still natural sugar in it so he would drink it. ugh!

DS was playing with some new word magnets on my mom�s refrigerator while we were in the other room, eating dinner. He called out, �I wrote something wise over here!� After dinner, I looked at the fridge and saw the word �something� next to four single y�s! I asked my mom and DH if they had shown him how to do that, but they had not.

While driving around the other day, I, being a dutiful parent who always points out emergency vehicles for inquisitive children to see, pointed out a police car to DS. He asked, �Why do you always slow down when you see a police car?� (For the record, I was slowing down because the cars in front of me were. This time!)

When I got the newspaper this morning (Sunday), I noticed that I had forgotten to change our clocks last night. I told DS about Daylight Saving Time, trying to explain why we had to turn the clocks back. He helped me do it, but kept saying he didn�t like it. I wasn�t sure why he didn�t like Daylight Saving Time. Finally he said, �I just like to waste time.�

At a playground, DS was in the baby swing when a younger child came toward the swings. I asked him to let her take a turn in the baby swing, but the girl�s grandma said she didn�t mind and the little girl happily went in the regular swing next to us. DS proceeded to explain to us why he liked the baby swings better. He said he liked how they vibrate when going fast. I thought this was interesting, but the lady next to us said she was amazed that he knew what the word vibrate meant. (It�s funny to me how he is still small enough to be in a bucket swing while saying these bigger kid things.)

I picked up DS from preschool, and his teacher told me the following: DS was showing a light up globe/wand for show-and-tell. Teacher asked him, �Where did that come from?� (expecting him to say the science museum or similar). DS looked at the toy, turning it around in his hands, and he said, �I�m not sure, but it says �made in china� so I guess that�s where it�s from.�

DS started preschool last week. When I dropped him off today, his teacher pulled me aside to tell a funny story. She was telling the kids about germs and how to sneeze in their shirts to avoid spreading germs. She told me that DS told her not to worry, the white blood cells will eat the germs that get in.

(sorry, this is kind of long. But I only included the first section of my list!) OK, someone else's turn!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/17/08 07:35 AM.
    LOVE it, SPG!!! My favorite is "something yyyys," but then I LOVE me som bad puns!

Thanks for sharing!

Kriston
    Kriston #13953 04/17/08 07:56 AM
    Oh, and I have one to share:

DS6 was taking his annual test to prove that I haven't locked him in a closet, but am actually teaching him something. The test is boring and too easy, but we soldier on. In the science section, DS got a question about which animal has no backbone. He got the answer right (worm), and then said, "I never thought about the fact that a frog is a vertebrate. Tadpoles are invertebrates, aren't they?"

I laughed as I tried to tried to deal with the fact that he was interrupting the test to learn something, that his vocabulary and ability to conceptualize science were so far ahead of the test's question, and that I couldn't have that discussion when he wanted to have it.

Overload!!! Overload!!!

grin

Kriston
    Kriston #13956 04/17/08 08:14 AM
    Wait, you mean that's not the sort of thing 6 year olds normally say? wink (Now your son has me thinking about this thing I've never thought of before!) He is a good sport trudging through the too-easy test.

Yes, I'm debating about skipping him a grade next year. I kind of hate to do that, since it really is just a hoop and I don't expect the test to tell us anything. I want him to pass it and let us just move on. But I suspect his willingness to put up with the boredom will decrease over time, and he really isn't a 1st grader this year.

At least I have until January, when I have to order the test, to decide what to do...I love postponing hard decisions. grin

Kriston
    Kriston #14052 04/17/08 07:29 PM
    Great stories - Yes! We didn't do this to them - they came out this way!

Thanks for sharing.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    L
    At 3 yrs, 11 mo. when he got caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing but he denied doing it, I asked him if he was telling me the truth and he said "My truth is sometimes I do things mistakenly."

At 4 yrs, 1 mo. my son excitedly told his dad when he came home from work "The mailman gave Mom som sex!" Then pointed to the two boxes of checks that we got in the mail. He couldn't pronounce "ch" until several months later. Around that time when we were shopping he very loudly said I see a big "fag" when he saw a flag--he also could not pronounce l's at that time.

At 4 yrs, 3 mo. I read the Magic Tree House Dinosaurs Before Dark to my son and his cousins. I asked his 7 yr old cousin who liked dinosaurs if he knew the name of the creature in the picture and he said he thought it was a terra something and I said that's right, it's a pteranodon and they vanished 65 million years ago. My son then said "And now we have "terrorist-odons."

At 4 yrs, 4 mos my son was watching his dad trying to fix his grandpa's computer. My husband had to call a friend to ask for advice and since this friend had recently lost his job, my husband wanted to know how his job search was going and said "Any bites?" and my son leaned over to the phone and said "Any megabytes?"

At 4 yrs, 9 mos after checking his teeth to see if any were loose when he noticed older kids with front teeth missing, he told me that his top teeth were like stalactites and his bottom teeth were like stalagmites. Before he went to bed that evening I started to read his "Alice in Wonderland" lines to him for his acting class and he said "Mom, I already have my lines and Alice's lines "deposited" in my memory "banks" and he did--over 100 words total for his lines that week and he knew the other kids' lines too.

About six months after a neighor boy his age died in a backyard swimming pool, I asked him why he always said things like "Wasn't this a wonderful day" or "Isn't it a beautiful morning" and he said "if you're not sick it is a beautiful morning."

But it was after his friend died at age 3 that he said something that really amazed me. I was very upset when I found out about it the next day and my son said to me "Cameron is okay. He went to heaven and he's all fixed up. He went home. Not to his house--to God. I saw him in the clouds. When I told him he must have dreamed it, he said "No, I really saw it." There was a look in his eyes and a maturity in his voice that I had never noticed before. He was trying to comfort me and he wasn't even four years old yet.

Kriston #14098 04/18/08 08:03 AM
    L
    L
    Interrupting a test and wanting to discuss his epiphanies sounds a lot like my son. Those lightbulbs just keep flashing, test or no test, and he wants to discuss it. It is a good thing we can homeschool.

Lori H. #14562 04/24/08 07:27 AM
    M
    M
    Alright, so I think I am in big trouble...

This morning I was trying to wake DS2.5 up to go to daycare. He rolls over gets a big grin on his face, but holds his eyes shut tight and says to me, �Mommy, I�m not feeling good, I better stay home with you today. I can�t go to B�s house (daycare) if I am sick.� He is 2 and a half!!! What on earth am I going to hear when he is 8??

BTW, once up he was up he was happy as could be and definitely not sick! Little stinker...

mamabird #14598 04/24/08 12:20 PM
    Originally Posted by mamabird
    Alright, so I think I am in big trouble...

Yup! laugh I'm so glad that i'm not the only one!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #14601 04/24/08 12:44 PM
    This morning DS told me, "In Backwards World people brush their teeth with ceiling-ide toothpaste."

It took me a minute to figure out what the heck he was talking about!

Cathy A #14602 04/24/08 01:11 PM
    laugh laugh laugh

Cathy A #14607 04/24/08 02:29 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    This morning DS told me, "In Backwards World people brush their teeth with ceiling-ide toothpaste."

It took me a minute to figure out what the heck he was talking about!

That is hilarious!!! This is why I love kids!! smile

mamabird #14838 04/28/08 12:50 PM
    C
    C
    Right after Graham turned 2 he turned to me one day and asked me what his "specialty" was. I was flabbergasted and told him that I thought his specialty was probably just being a great kid.

We still don't know where he picked that one up, but it threw me for a loop. smile

CatherineD #14923 04/29/08 07:45 PM
    acs Offline
    I just found a paper where we had written down some of the things DS said when he was in preschool. DS is working on a biography for 6th grade, so he had me find these. He really endjoyed reading them. Here are a couple.

After a trip to Nevada to visit his grandparents:
    "Pretend that we were both grown-up and the TV was a gambling game. Yeah, and you were the mom and I was the dad and we didn't have any babies."

Once as I was trying to get him to sleep, he suddenly jumped out of bed and headed out the door. I asked him where he thought he was going and he said, matter-of-factly, "Oh, I have something important to do." I can't remember what it was that time, but by 3 1/2 to 4 that something important was usually changing the computer screen saver (which he usually "had" to do between bites of dinner. He'd excuse himself, change the sceensaver, then come back for more dinner)

To his dad, when he was about 2, "You need to come play with me right now or I'll put you in time out." His dad happily chose the time out!

Regarding home security, "At preschool they put a sign on the front door that says, 'emergency exit only.' They put an alarm on it that would go off for 3 seconds if you opened it. We should do that with our front door, too!" (The front door of the preschool opened onto a busy street and they wanted everyone to enter and exit through the back door.)

Last edited by acs; 04/29/08 07:46 PM.
    acs #14928 04/29/08 08:28 PM
    B
    B
    Had to add some sillies from when my DS was between 3-4 (i am one of those moms who keeps journals)

..picture DS going into the bathroom and things getting very quiet then a loud shout goes through the house, "Mommy, my intestines are now empty!"

...another bathroom comment when he was 3 - sitting with daddy in the bathroom and he very proudly looks up at Daddy and said, "Houston, we have a problem...it's stuck." I still remember my husband coming out of the bathroom about falling on the floor laughing.

..laying in bed, we have the best talks at night..out of the blue he asks, "Mommy, why is my ceiling flat when our roof is triangle shaped?"

Belle #14930 04/29/08 08:50 PM
    My addition to this great thread:

My dd at about 3 years old

..In response to my lack of panick when she informed me she was running away... "I can't believe you are letting me drive, I am just a kid..." I guess she figured she would need a car to really go far.

....Another run away moment..."Can't you see I can't open the door yet? Can you please open it for me?"...

bianc850a #14969 04/30/08 11:10 AM
    M
    M
    My son's daycare lady has her late husbands old rusty truck parked on the side of her driveway at her house. Last week DS2.5 goes running into her house and says, "Oh no B, you need to get your truck out of the rain!! Your wheels are oxidizing."

I have to remind myself of these things when I am having my denial moments!

mamabird #15592 05/09/08 07:01 AM
    I have another one. We were on vacation with gramps and grammy. DS4 is excitedly telling gramps something, and he says, "whoa, slow down. gramps is old. you need to talk slowly to me so I can understand." DS4 obliges. A few minutes later, he's back to speed talking, telling me something. Gramps says, "hey, did you forget about talking slowly?" DS4 looks at him, irritated, and says, "I was talking to mom!" tee hee. gramps said that made the 9 hour plane trip worth it.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 05/09/08 07:05 AM.
    LOL! And love the new avatar, SPG! smile

Kriston
    Kriston #15597 05/09/08 07:14 AM
    thanks. i was reminded how jealous i was that acs got the avatar i liked best, and thought i'd look through them again. wink

It's fun. Like you. laugh

Kriston
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    thanks. i was reminded how jealous i was that acs got the avatar i liked best, and thought i'd look through them again. wink

Oooh Avatar Envy!!

Yeah, I like here, too. Partly, I like to eat and I love corn on the cob, but mainly, I like that impish look in her eyes--you know she's scheming something!

Kriston #15600 05/09/08 07:21 AM
    awwww. shucks. blush

Alright, you all have inspired me to finally choose an avatar.

incogneato #15602 05/09/08 07:36 AM
    Yahoo! Nice choice. Any particular reason why this one? What caught your eye?

Kriston
    Kriston #15603 05/09/08 07:44 AM
    OK, I just selected an avatar, too.

Where's my avatar?

Be back in a few.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 05/09/08 07:45 AM.
    OHGrandma #15604 05/09/08 07:47 AM
    It's an avatar epidemic! Pictures flying left and right! (Well, all on the left as I have it arranged on my desktop, I guess...)

grin

Kriston
    Kriston #15605 05/09/08 07:47 AM
    Got it.

Kriston #15606 05/09/08 07:48 AM
    "Like the sands through the hourglass...So are the days of our GT kids..."

wink

I like it!

Kriston
    Kriston #15607 05/09/08 07:51 AM
    acs Offline
    I don't know. I know you are a grandma and all, but I kinda wish that there was a little more sand at the top! Unless you are about to turn it over again and start on a second childhood?

acs #15609 05/09/08 07:58 AM
    It all goes so fast. No regrets, no desire to go back, or speed to the end. I'll be retirement age when GS8 will be getting his masters degree, he told me once I could babysit his kids!

OHGrandma #15631 05/09/08 01:03 PM
    No real reason I chose this one, it just popped out at me.

incogneato #15632 05/09/08 01:04 PM
    I am joining the craze smile

Ania #15636 05/09/08 01:18 PM
    A
    A
    Alright, I just looked through all of them and can't seem to pick from those left. I must say, though, that a lot of them give me the creeps! The ones taken are definitely the best.

AmyEJ #15637 05/09/08 01:20 PM
    Ania, I didn't see that one. Maybe I wasn't doing it right but there were only like, 10, to choose from.
    Amy, what about the baby?!?!?!!?!?!?

(please don't read anything into that, it's just the cutest one!)

incogneato #15646 05/09/08 06:29 PM
    Hey neato, when you go to the avatar page there is a tiny arrow in the bottom middle and if you press it you can choose from several avatars. There are several pages of them. smile

EandCmom #15647 05/09/08 06:38 PM
    I think I like this one.

Crisc
    crisc #15648 05/09/08 06:48 PM
    Oooohhh, I like that one too crisc. It's pretty! smile

EandCmom #15650 05/09/08 06:56 PM
    Me too, crisc!
    Thanks for the tip LMom
    Amy, I agree, a lot of them ARE very creepy!

crisc #15651 05/09/08 07:45 PM
    crisc,
    That is one of my favorite photos. It is the Earthrise photo taken during Apollo 11.

Is it me, or are there some new choices? I changed mine to something seasonally appropriate...

Lorel #15657 05/10/08 06:36 AM
    I like my lips, so I'm sticking with the tried and true. It suits my overactive mouth! laugh

Kriston
    Kriston #15659 05/10/08 06:45 AM
    LOL

Dottie #15662 05/10/08 07:01 AM
    Yeah! Good catch, Dottie. What's up, 'Neato?

Kriston
    Kriston #15663 05/10/08 07:38 AM
    Just keeping you ladies on your toes!

Think of it as symbolic for where I am in placing the girls in the right academic setting.........hee hee hee.

Kriston #15664 05/10/08 07:39 AM
    how do you get an avatar?

Go to the top of the page. Select "My Stuff" and "Profile." At the very bottom is the place to select an avatar.

Can't wait to see your pick! smile

Kriston
    Click on my stuff then go to profile. Scroll all the way down to the end where it says avatar. Click on use stock avatar then there is a link I think that says somthing like choose.
    A pop up window comes up with pictures. There is a teensy arrow at the bottom of the page which I missed the first time, that allows you to scroll through different pages.

incogneato #15667 05/10/08 07:59 AM
    LOL that was the most obvious placed and I even looked there but must not have scrolled all the way to the bottom.

thanks!

I changed mine again. We like to play with trains smile

But watch out, the light at the end of the tunnel might be the train coming towards you!

OHGrandma #15682 05/10/08 12:33 PM
    Since there is never enough time, I chose the hour glass.

Love your new avatar Lorel!!!! And OHG and Dazed yours are cool as well.

Also, Dottie, I too am "working off the fat part" LOL!!!!! (beat ya Kriston!!!) grin

EandCmom #15699 05/10/08 07:47 PM
    Aw, rats! That's what I get for going out for dinner. Oh, well. The champagne cocktails were a pretty good trade, I suppose.

grin

Kriston
    Kriston #15751 05/11/08 06:22 PM
    A
    A
    Alright, this is the one DD6 chose for me. Should I take it as a sign of some sort? wink

Happy Mother's Day, everyone! I hope you had a good one.

Last edited by AmyEJ; 05/11/08 06:23 PM. Reason: added Mother's Day greeting
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM