Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Kriston #14052 04/17/08 07:29 PM
    Great stories - Yes! We didn't do this to them - they came out this way!

Thanks for sharing.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    L
    At 3 yrs, 11 mo. when he got caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing but he denied doing it, I asked him if he was telling me the truth and he said "My truth is sometimes I do things mistakenly."

At 4 yrs, 1 mo. my son excitedly told his dad when he came home from work "The mailman gave Mom som sex!" Then pointed to the two boxes of checks that we got in the mail. He couldn't pronounce "ch" until several months later. Around that time when we were shopping he very loudly said I see a big "fag" when he saw a flag--he also could not pronounce l's at that time.

At 4 yrs, 3 mo. I read the Magic Tree House Dinosaurs Before Dark to my son and his cousins. I asked his 7 yr old cousin who liked dinosaurs if he knew the name of the creature in the picture and he said he thought it was a terra something and I said that's right, it's a pteranodon and they vanished 65 million years ago. My son then said "And now we have "terrorist-odons."

At 4 yrs, 4 mos my son was watching his dad trying to fix his grandpa's computer. My husband had to call a friend to ask for advice and since this friend had recently lost his job, my husband wanted to know how his job search was going and said "Any bites?" and my son leaned over to the phone and said "Any megabytes?"

At 4 yrs, 9 mos after checking his teeth to see if any were loose when he noticed older kids with front teeth missing, he told me that his top teeth were like stalactites and his bottom teeth were like stalagmites. Before he went to bed that evening I started to read his "Alice in Wonderland" lines to him for his acting class and he said "Mom, I already have my lines and Alice's lines "deposited" in my memory "banks" and he did--over 100 words total for his lines that week and he knew the other kids' lines too.

About six months after a neighor boy his age died in a backyard swimming pool, I asked him why he always said things like "Wasn't this a wonderful day" or "Isn't it a beautiful morning" and he said "if you're not sick it is a beautiful morning."

But it was after his friend died at age 3 that he said something that really amazed me. I was very upset when I found out about it the next day and my son said to me "Cameron is okay. He went to heaven and he's all fixed up. He went home. Not to his house--to God. I saw him in the clouds. When I told him he must have dreamed it, he said "No, I really saw it." There was a look in his eyes and a maturity in his voice that I had never noticed before. He was trying to comfort me and he wasn't even four years old yet.

Kriston #14098 04/18/08 08:03 AM
    L
    L
    Interrupting a test and wanting to discuss his epiphanies sounds a lot like my son. Those lightbulbs just keep flashing, test or no test, and he wants to discuss it. It is a good thing we can homeschool.

Lori H. #14562 04/24/08 07:27 AM
    M
    M
    Alright, so I think I am in big trouble...

This morning I was trying to wake DS2.5 up to go to daycare. He rolls over gets a big grin on his face, but holds his eyes shut tight and says to me, �Mommy, I�m not feeling good, I better stay home with you today. I can�t go to B�s house (daycare) if I am sick.� He is 2 and a half!!! What on earth am I going to hear when he is 8??

BTW, once up he was up he was happy as could be and definitely not sick! Little stinker...

mamabird #14598 04/24/08 12:20 PM
    Originally Posted by mamabird
    Alright, so I think I am in big trouble...

Yup! laugh I'm so glad that i'm not the only one!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #14601 04/24/08 12:44 PM
    This morning DS told me, "In Backwards World people brush their teeth with ceiling-ide toothpaste."

It took me a minute to figure out what the heck he was talking about!

Cathy A #14602 04/24/08 01:11 PM
    laugh laugh laugh

Cathy A #14607 04/24/08 02:29 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    This morning DS told me, "In Backwards World people brush their teeth with ceiling-ide toothpaste."

It took me a minute to figure out what the heck he was talking about!

That is hilarious!!! This is why I love kids!! smile

mamabird #14838 04/28/08 12:50 PM
    C
    C
    Right after Graham turned 2 he turned to me one day and asked me what his "specialty" was. I was flabbergasted and told him that I thought his specialty was probably just being a great kid.

We still don't know where he picked that one up, but it threw me for a loop. smile

CatherineD #14923 04/29/08 07:45 PM
    acs Offline
    I just found a paper where we had written down some of the things DS said when he was in preschool. DS is working on a biography for 6th grade, so he had me find these. He really endjoyed reading them. Here are a couple.

After a trip to Nevada to visit his grandparents:
    "Pretend that we were both grown-up and the TV was a gambling game. Yeah, and you were the mom and I was the dad and we didn't have any babies."

Once as I was trying to get him to sleep, he suddenly jumped out of bed and headed out the door. I asked him where he thought he was going and he said, matter-of-factly, "Oh, I have something important to do." I can't remember what it was that time, but by 3 1/2 to 4 that something important was usually changing the computer screen saver (which he usually "had" to do between bites of dinner. He'd excuse himself, change the sceensaver, then come back for more dinner)

To his dad, when he was about 2, "You need to come play with me right now or I'll put you in time out." His dad happily chose the time out!

Regarding home security, "At preschool they put a sign on the front door that says, 'emergency exit only.' They put an alarm on it that would go off for 3 seconds if you opened it. We should do that with our front door, too!" (The front door of the preschool opened onto a busy street and they wanted everyone to enter and exit through the back door.)

Last edited by acs; 04/29/08 07:46 PM.
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM