Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    #13903 04/17/08 01:56 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    DH shared this story with me last night, had to go to a meeting. And I thought it was indicative of non-traditional markers. I would like to hear similar stories to see maturity behaviors as markers for gifted.

They went out for Chinese and DD3 was behaving with total princess manners so DH told her she could have a surprise. She wanted to know what the surprise was and eventually he told her he was taking her for ice cream. Now ice cream had never been a "surprise" before. Anyway, they head over to B&J and she tells him she wants vanilla with rainbow sprinkles. She then goes and sits at a table and closes her eyes. He comes to the table with ice cream and she opens her eyes and feigns surprise and excitement.

Ren

Wren #13906 04/17/08 03:56 AM
    Isa Offline
    Cute story!

DD4.5 has/had often the same kind of behavior but it never occured to me that this was a sing of giftedness (gifted denial?) only of megacuteness smile

Isa #13913 04/17/08 06:09 AM
    Isa Offline
    Actually, now that I think of it I have a story to share:

The other day DD4.5 was wearing to school a fake medal that she got on a birthday party. When she entered the classroom another boy made her a remark and then she came to me, remove the medal and said:
    "I should not wear it because the other children may think that I have win something when in fact I have not."

Dottie #13937 04/17/08 07:05 AM
    Very sweet! I always keep a list of "cute kid stories" as an email draft, and when I get enough I send them off to grandmas and friends. I don't know about signs of giftedness, but there are definitely times I will edit out some of the cute kid stories, depending on the recipient, because I think the story will not be believed.

Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Very sweet! I always keep a list of "cute kid stories" as an email draft, and when I get enough I send them off to grandmas and friends. I don't know about signs of giftedness, but there are definitely times I will edit out some of the cute kid stories, depending on the recipient, because I think the story will not be believed.

so, would you share some of these stories?

Isa #13949 04/17/08 07:31 AM
    OK, here are some cute kids stories from when he was 3 1/2:

We had rain that froze on top of snow outside. DS was outside, digging around, and he exclaimed, "I'm ice-cavating!"

At a birthday party for a preschool classmate, DS looks at the juice box he was handed and says, �it says no sugar added. That�s not what I like.� I had to convince him that there was still natural sugar in it so he would drink it. ugh!

DS was playing with some new word magnets on my mom�s refrigerator while we were in the other room, eating dinner. He called out, �I wrote something wise over here!� After dinner, I looked at the fridge and saw the word �something� next to four single y�s! I asked my mom and DH if they had shown him how to do that, but they had not.

While driving around the other day, I, being a dutiful parent who always points out emergency vehicles for inquisitive children to see, pointed out a police car to DS. He asked, �Why do you always slow down when you see a police car?� (For the record, I was slowing down because the cars in front of me were. This time!)

When I got the newspaper this morning (Sunday), I noticed that I had forgotten to change our clocks last night. I told DS about Daylight Saving Time, trying to explain why we had to turn the clocks back. He helped me do it, but kept saying he didn�t like it. I wasn�t sure why he didn�t like Daylight Saving Time. Finally he said, �I just like to waste time.�

At a playground, DS was in the baby swing when a younger child came toward the swings. I asked him to let her take a turn in the baby swing, but the girl�s grandma said she didn�t mind and the little girl happily went in the regular swing next to us. DS proceeded to explain to us why he liked the baby swings better. He said he liked how they vibrate when going fast. I thought this was interesting, but the lady next to us said she was amazed that he knew what the word vibrate meant. (It�s funny to me how he is still small enough to be in a bucket swing while saying these bigger kid things.)

I picked up DS from preschool, and his teacher told me the following: DS was showing a light up globe/wand for show-and-tell. Teacher asked him, �Where did that come from?� (expecting him to say the science museum or similar). DS looked at the toy, turning it around in his hands, and he said, �I�m not sure, but it says �made in china� so I guess that�s where it�s from.�

DS started preschool last week. When I dropped him off today, his teacher pulled me aside to tell a funny story. She was telling the kids about germs and how to sneeze in their shirts to avoid spreading germs. She told me that DS told her not to worry, the white blood cells will eat the germs that get in.

(sorry, this is kind of long. But I only included the first section of my list!) OK, someone else's turn!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/17/08 07:35 AM.
    LOVE it, SPG!!! My favorite is "something yyyys," but then I LOVE me som bad puns!

Thanks for sharing!

Kriston
    Kriston #13953 04/17/08 07:56 AM
    Oh, and I have one to share:

DS6 was taking his annual test to prove that I haven't locked him in a closet, but am actually teaching him something. The test is boring and too easy, but we soldier on. In the science section, DS got a question about which animal has no backbone. He got the answer right (worm), and then said, "I never thought about the fact that a frog is a vertebrate. Tadpoles are invertebrates, aren't they?"

I laughed as I tried to tried to deal with the fact that he was interrupting the test to learn something, that his vocabulary and ability to conceptualize science were so far ahead of the test's question, and that I couldn't have that discussion when he wanted to have it.

Overload!!! Overload!!!

grin

Kriston
    Kriston #13956 04/17/08 08:14 AM
    Wait, you mean that's not the sort of thing 6 year olds normally say? wink (Now your son has me thinking about this thing I've never thought of before!) He is a good sport trudging through the too-easy test.

Yes, I'm debating about skipping him a grade next year. I kind of hate to do that, since it really is just a hoop and I don't expect the test to tell us anything. I want him to pass it and let us just move on. But I suspect his willingness to put up with the boredom will decrease over time, and he really isn't a 1st grader this year.

At least I have until January, when I have to order the test, to decide what to do...I love postponing hard decisions. grin

Kriston
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM