Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 149 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
    Topic Options
    #138536 - 09/18/12 09:09 PM Re: So howis it going? [Re: ultramarina]
    ElizabethN Offline

Loc: Seattle area
    Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    Quote:
    it seems to under pitch half the content while asking the kids to do a lot - if that makes sense.

It certainly does make perfect sense--that's what we see as well. DD is certainly being taught to tote that barge, etc. I don't like to describe her HW here because it would be too identifying, but in terms of special projects, what she is asked to do was asked of me in perhaps 5th grade. She writes lengthy research reports and so on.

We see this as well. DD's school has a very heavy load of writing and reading, but it's not really as advanced as she could handle, and there's lots of repetition and worksheets.

#138541 - 09/19/12 05:58 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: St. Margaret]
    ultramarina Offline

To be fair, I don't feel we see a lot of repetition. They do move more quickly than the "nongifted" school--absolutely. They advertise it as such and it's correct. But it's not as fast as DD could go, and by all rights, she shouldn't be anywhere close to the most gifted/fastest kid in her class, going by her test scores.

Basically, on the whole, they work a year to a year and a half ahead, with special projects perhaps two years ahead in terms of expectations. They are extremely enriched by field trips and presentations and speakers. They work very hard, in a sort of collge prep tradition, despite the fact that this is elementary. They are not, however, individually accelerated. I have come to realize that we are getting something like a nice private school education at a poor public magnet. It's a bit weird. But it's the best thing available.

#138553 - 09/19/12 07:25 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: St. Margaret]
    Dude Offline

Update: DD7 now gets an additional 40 minutes a day with a gifted teacher, where they do social studies and science on grade level, "enriched" (whatever they think that means).

She's still scheduled with her grade-level class for 4 hours a day, but that includes morning meeting, lunch, and depending on the day, PE or library. And the part of the day where she actually gets to learn something comes entirely in the afternoon, so hopefully when she comes home, she's in a better mood.

#138679 - 09/21/12 06:23 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: St. Margaret]
    Dude Offline

Final update: DD is being withdrawn from school today. Homeschooling begins Monday.

Since we reached this decision, she's been a different person... in a hugely positive way.

#138682 - 09/21/12 06:29 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: St. Margaret]
    Iucounu Offline

Dude! Congratulations.

#138698 - 09/21/12 09:05 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: St. Margaret]
    ElizabethN Offline

Loc: Seattle area
    Awesome news, Dude! I hope that you are all very happy with the decision.

#138999 - 09/26/12 08:58 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: St. Margaret]
    MidwestMom Offline

So far, both of my DDs are loving the social parts of school this year but complaining about the slow pace and easy work. I'll be making appointments to meet with their teachers once we get through MAP testing and I have some current evidence to show that they really do need more and I'm not just one of "those" parents.

#139010 - 09/26/12 10:51 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: St. Margaret]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    Well, things are not going very well right now here. frown I'm about fed up with trying to work with our new school for DS10. He's still in a math class that is a repeat of his class last year. Took the placement test for the next level up last week, but there was a (probably honest) mistake in the administration of the test s.t. now they don't want to use the results. Also, he didn't get 100% on the test...(which he knew at the time - told me himself that he gave a bogus answer on one question just to get out.)

I ask you, since when is getting 100% a requirement not to be retained?

So I'm feeling pretty grumpy. I have a request in for advice from Davidson, hoping they have some suggestion that makes this seem less grim. Having just moved, and since some of the other classes are good, I'd rather not pull DS out of school entirely but I'm considering that. frown mad frown

#139018 - 09/26/12 11:39 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: St. Margaret]
    bzylzy Offline

I haven't been here in ages, had a relaxing summer.

Congratulations Dude. Glad your DD is getting herself back, what a journey you took for her. I'll be thinking of you and your wife and some of the girls-development feedback you received in meetings because DH and I have a meeting this week about a jump and based on one comment one of the women made and her rolling eyes when I said DH would be sure to be there, I think we might be hearing something like this. I'm seriously going to try hard not to laugh, because I'll feel like I'm in a movie or something.

Offered homeschooling this summer but DD said "that's a bit drastic right now" and she had a good attitude going in. She's fading now. We're trying to get to Christmas and might take her out then if she's agreeable and still getting sick constantly like she does every year after holiday break. She usually doesn't complain about being bored until at least earl Dec. and she's already complaining.

She got 1 answer marked wrong on the math assessments they're doing now (see below for me asking for input). On the same day it came home for me to sign, she had a math worksheet for homework that had 19 problems of the exact same things she was assessed on and got correct!!

I'm curious about parent input regarding her answer marked wrong on the assessment:

QUES: 426 and 264 have the same digits, but in a different order. Do they have the same value? Explain

DD's answer: They don't have the same value because 426 is geater than 264.

(yes no "r" in greater...otherwise, is this a correct answer or am I missing something? It sounds reasonable to me.) Maybe they mark off for spelling?

#139020 - 09/26/12 11:57 AM Re: So howis it going? [Re: bzylzy]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    Originally Posted By: bzylzy
    I'm curious about parent input regarding her answer marked wrong on the assessment:

QUES: 426 and 264 have the same digits, but in a different order. Do they have the same value? Explain

DD's answer: They don't have the same value because 426 is geater than 264.

(yes no "r" in greater...otherwise, is this a correct answer or am I missing something? It sounds reasonable to me.) Maybe they mark off for spelling?
    My guess is that they were looking for an answer that indicated that each individual digit did not have the same value in the two numbers. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me. Her answer is obviously correct too. Global answer, this question is poorly worded as written.

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh
    10/18/20 12:49 PM
    The Politics of Gifted Education
    by Eagle Mum