Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (Wren), 0 Guests and 166 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 159 of 263 < 1 2 ... 157 158 159 160 161 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #138524 - 09/18/12 04:20 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Michaela Offline

Loc: The bottom of my cup
    Ok, when people start posting on here it gets contagious, which is probably a good thing, tight? All of us thinkin' happy thoughts? Thanks for making me thing sweet thought about my critters.

DS engaged in polite dinner table conversation! He asked all his relatives if they know of any dinosaurs that are still alive but do not fly. There was some confusion about brontosauri and Komodo dragons, but emus and ostriches were mentioned.

DS2 gets a lil brag; he is now waving and saying hi and bye wink

After that success, he managed to stay at the joiner table tonight, as well, though we did not accomplish conversation, quite.

#138528 - 09/18/12 05:27 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Wyldkat Offline

Bear (my 2e super sensitive, ultra-timid, anti-group and VERY anti-group movement activities kiddo) just had his first all charter play practice. I had been ready for all sorts of problems and you know what I got? After an initial bout of basic shyness he JOINED IN!!! Laughing, smiling, making eye contact, hamming it up... in a group.... in a group that was milling and following director's instructions... with students he didn't know... with a teacher he didn't know... I'm so beside myself I can't even type sensibly. I'm actually crying as I write this. It was nothing short of miraculous!

#138529 - 09/18/12 06:02 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Wyldkat]
    Mk13 Offline

Originally Posted By: Wyldkat
    Bear (my 2e super sensitive, ultra-timid, anti-group and VERY anti-group movement activities kiddo) just had his first all charter play practice. I had been ready for all sorts of problems and you know what I got? After an initial bout of basic shyness he JOINED IN!!! Laughing, smiling, making eye contact, hamming it up... in a group.... in a group that was milling and following director's instructions... with students he didn't know... with a teacher he didn't know... I'm so beside myself I can't even type sensibly. I'm actually crying as I write this. It was nothing short of miraculous!

that is so great! I hope DS4 and DS2 will be able to join in like that someday too!

#138654 - 09/20/12 01:10 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ultramarina Offline

Another fabulous milestone: on a 2-hour drive, both kids were dead silent most of the time because both were reading to themselves. (Meanwhile, DH and I had a civil, uninterrupted conversation sotto voce in the front seat. Yessss!) Boy, this "two kids who can really read" thing is the bomb.

#138846 - 09/24/12 11:21 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    CCN Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
    Don't know if this qualifies as a brag... it's more like a developmental moment of self awareness... by my adorable DS8 just announced that Zane is his favourite Lego Ninjago character because "he's strange and smart."

(Hmmm. Kindred spirit? wink )

#138947 - 09/25/12 04:27 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    frannieandejsmom Offline

Loc: somewhere out there
    Last year (April 2011) EJ was reading Biscuit books. Last year, kindergarten, he started in guided reading level "d" and finished on "j". This year, in first grade, he was assessed at a level "n". I think his reading is starting to catch up with his math!

#138962 - 09/25/12 09:33 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ultramarina]
    MegMeg Offline

Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    Boy, this "two kids who can really read" thing is the bomb.

Ooo, I'm so jealous! I can't wait for my kid to become a fluent reader. It's like having a pre-potty-trained toddler -- part of me doesn't believe the day will ever come.

#138978 - 09/26/12 07:51 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ultramarina]
    Evemomma Offline

Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    Another fabulous milestone: on a 2-hour drive, both kids were dead silent most of the time because both were reading to themselves. (Meanwhile, DH and I had a civil, uninterrupted conversation sotto voce in the front seat. Yessss!) Boy, this "two kids who can really read" thing is the bomb.

It can backfire, however, when your reading -riders heave all over the backseat from newly onset carsickness brought about by (you guessed it) READING in the car. Sigh.

Actually...what I mean yo say is : congrat s!

#138986 - 09/26/12 08:18 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: frannieandejsmom]
    Evemomma Offline

Originally Posted By: frannieandejsmom
    Last year (April 2011) EJ was reading Biscuit books. Last year, kindergarten, he started in guided reading level "d" and finished on "j". This year, in first grade, he was assessed at a level "n". I think his reading is starting to catch up with his math!

Yay for advanced reading! I'm really curious where ds will fall on his reading eval - we do the letter system here also.

OK, I've joined this board for my ds who has the "classic" gifted signs : very eary reader /mathy-sciency /incessant questioning.

But my dd2.5 blew me away yesterday, after coming to me with a "peanut butter" face, I told her she needed to go get a napkin and wipe her hands and face (but we were out of napkins in the usual place). So, I told her she needed to get into the drawer in the table on the left to get a napkin ...and she
    understood this and did it!

I could see her computing the instructions. My ds was late with this type of multi-direction following, so it's fun yo see dd excel in her own way!

#138991 - 09/26/12 08:31 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Evemomma]
    MidwestMom Offline

Originally Posted By: Evemomma
    It can backfire, however, when your reading -riders heave all over the backseat from newly onset carsickness brought about by (you guessed it) READING in the car. Sigh.

BTDT. My girls love to read and do logic puzzles, etc., in the car, but we've had to switch to audiobooks instead.

Page 159 of 263 < 1 2 ... 157 158 159 160 161 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh
    10/18/20 12:49 PM
    The Politics of Gifted Education
    by Eagle Mum