Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    K
    Have you observed any problems/issues that might be related to processing speed? Those numbers look like he may have a frustrating road block there.

M
    M
    19 is the "hard" ceiling of the test, there is no way to score higher than that. At a certain age your child might need 23 items correct to score 19, they get 19 whether their raw score was 23 or 37, but the kid who got 37 right obviously actually does know more than the one who got 24 right. Extended norms help to allow for those kids who may actually have scored "more" than 19. The tricky part is that sometimes 18, and very occasionally even 17 is a "soft" ceiling - the child ran out of test before the stopped being able to answer questions even though they did not get a 19. Maybe the made some simple mistakes early on, maybe there was a time penalty. Maybe they got a few 1/2 if the test is one that allowed two points for some questions. It's a strange system how it's scored.

My DD did the WPPSI (the version for younger children) and had more than one 17 that was actually a ceiling score, one of them it simply wasn't possible to score higher than 17 at her age even though she completed the whole subtest perfectly with no errors and no more questions to do, one of them she had some early wrong answers but was going strong towards the end... That sort of thing.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    When he is on his own, he is very happy, but when structure is added to the mix, he seems to have a breaking point. He has always had a strong dislike for rules, and now that I see the test results I wonder if that has something to do with him feeling rushed.
    I think he likes to "ponder" and daydream a lot, and maybe that's related too.

He gets distracted at school I think. He brings home a lot of unfinished work that he then has to do at home - and he gets distracted at home too, so it takes him forever to get it done. Kind of unfair to him if he can't help himself.

so, yes, I think there's an issue, but I don't really think it's because he is slow at processing things. I just think he doesn't do well with structure (which sucks by the way...that's how I am too).

F
    F
    the GAI is 154 (technical report #4). My daughter has low working memory and processing speeds which have started (in second now third grade) to cause her some self esteem issues.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    EXACTLY! Self esteem has been an issue for him over the past couple years. I think it's been more of an issue since he switched from Montessori to Catholic school.
    I think that's what bothers me the most.

M
    M
    2 scores of 18 or a single score of 19 on the WISC would qualify him for extended norms and your son has both.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    His GAI is 154, but that's using the "information" subtest instead of the "vocab" subtest. He scored a 145 on one of the four categories of the WISC-IV.
    I'd like to apply him for the Young Scholars program, but don't have any other tests from him. Will a video of him talking about science, along with one of his "science notebooks" (where he takes notes on things he observes in nature) do enough to get him in?

Looks like the program would be great for us to help him along and I'd really like to try and get him in.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Ephelidasa
    EXACTLY! Self esteem has been an issue for him over the past couple years. I think it's been more of an issue since he switched from Montessori to Catholic school.
    I think that's what bothers me the most.

My son's self esteem really suffered in Catholic school! And he was the one who wanted to go. He was treated terrible. We are now really dealing with these issues!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM