Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 35 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 34 35
    Q
    Q
    Sending hugs your way :-( I don't have experience applying a second time and since DS' scores were significantly above the minimum, I don't know how selective DYS gets beyond the minimum requirements. However, it looks like only your achievement score is borderline. I would have expected DYS to suggest a portfolio in your case. Anyhow, I would encourage you to apply a second time if you get stronger achievement scores or if you think you can put together an impressive portfolio.

S
    S
    Thanks Quantum. I did put together a portfolio but it wasn't enough.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    S
    S
    Stacey, if you have new achievement scores with a 145, that might work with the IQ. The scores listed here though are really not at the level DYS advertises to help.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ut_scores_in_perspective.html#Post134495

There are other programs geared more to this level, so hopefully your school offers one.

S
    S
    Thanks Sharon--

No, that achievement test is the one that was denied by DYS--I was wrong, and her broad reading was lower -- and unfortunately, despite state law and school board policy, there's no gifted program in our small K-8 community school, and our state doesn't have gifted schools for elementary or magnet schools for high school. I'm kind of thinking of moving, wink. But, until then, I've put on my squeaky wheel hat. The school board and the new principal know I'm annoyed.

Thank you again for your kind words, everyone.

Last edited by staceychev; 08/31/12 09:22 AM.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    E
    E
    Really considering applying to the DYS program for my 7yo son, but not entirely convinced yet...
    For those that have kids in the program, what is the biggest difference it has made for you and/or your child?

Also, from reading this thread, it seems that my son might be borderline. His GIA is 154 (VCI 142, PRI 145), but because of his WMI 123 and PSI 88, his FSIQ is 135. Seems iffy to me because these WISC-IV numbers are all we have. However, it does say specifically in the full report that he "sacrificed speed for accuracy", so I know that had a lot to do with the lower PSI.
    Anyone have knowledge or experience with a similar situation? Similar numbers?

I know we will have to send in a portfolio if we apply. I suppose I have plenty of stuff with him explaining his lego creations, or sitting in the car seat as a toddler rambling about science, and I have independent notebooks he keeps as well. Not sure if a letter from a previous teacher would help. I think his biggest asset is his creativity, so hopefully I can showcase that in the portfolio.

Anyways, the two questions I'm really hoping to have answered are 1. What has made DYS worth it for you? and 2. Does my boy have a shot at getting in.

D
    D
    Hi, Ephelidasa,
    We only applied b/c DD9 was getting kicked out of her private school due to various 2e-related behavior issues and there was not recognition by either teachers or the school psychologist that gifted might be contributing to that. So we applied so that it wasn't just us saying "but she's actually really smart" and also to help her emphasize some of her positive qualities. She also scored low on coding, but she had other subtest scores that qualified her so maybe if you were able to have your DS do some of the other subtests (see the Davidson website) you could use those rather than the portfolio. But of course that can be expensive.
    Here there are a few DYS kids in another part of town that we've met but DD hasn't really hit it off with any of them yet (even though they all seem like great kids). So the pluses would be meeting other kids/families, and maybe helping with advocacy in school. But it may not do much good. I think it's a great resource and am very grateful for this board, but to be honest as far as I can tell it hasn't made any difference for us. Our fortunes have risen and fallen with the compatibility with particular teacher(s) or lack thereof. Maybe things will be different in the future. I can say that this board has been tremendously helpful, at least in terms of esprit de corps, so it's great that it's available to everyone.

Good luck to you and your DS, whatever you decide.

Last edited by Dbat; 09/20/12 08:10 AM.
    E
    E
    After talking to my son's dr., I think we are going to apply for the program. We will bring him for another test (his doc said she could do it in an hour or two, so it doesn't sound too expensive) so we can skip the portfolio hopefully.
    The program seems like it could be a good resource, and besides, the doc said she thought it would be a good idea.

E
    E&J Offline
    E
    DS7 is accepted. smile

E
    E
    DD8 is also accepted. smile

K
    K
    I'd suggest applying before you need the resource. We sat on scores for a couple of years until we were considering a school change and needed advice, then I had to hurry to send the application in and call the family counselor just days after the acceptance. It would have been smarter to do this at leisure. The minimal effort to apply (I just sent in scores and a few sentences for the essays) was well worth it.

Last edited by Keerby; 10/01/12 05:43 PM.
    Page 9 of 35 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM