Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Wow. The only thing this psychologist should be noted for is his idiocy.

If I rewarded my DD7 for picking up a fork, she'd roll her eyes at me, and say, "What? It's JUST A FORK!" Then she'd wonder why I have such low expectations of her, and launch into a spiral of self-doubt and loathing. Because after all... it's just a fork.

Last week I helped the 11th grader across the street with her math homework. Yep, I enabled her. In this case, I enabled her to finish the assignment on her own and learn something. Bad me, right?

His observation that "90% of the kids get this, the rest we send for medication" speaks to a horrible confirmation bias... if this doesn't work, it's not because the system is flawed, it's because the kid is. Someone managed to graduate with a science degree without learning how to science.

I could go on, and on...

D
    D
    Originally Posted by petunia
    He said that these disorders, which he put in air quotes, had nothing to do with homework and parents still shouldn't be involved in the homework. The "disorders" simply make things "harder than" things would be with normal kids but that with a lot of hard work from the parent using the Good Behavior Game, the child should get through it by himself.

5) Kids for whom his game doesn't work need "shock collar" type consequences and reinforcers. No examples were given. My child has not responded to ANY consequences or reinforcers. It's as if it just doesn't matter to him.

In my family we try hard not to engage in name-calling, which is really a crying shame, because if it were ever warranted, it is warranted here. I am so steamed about this guy and what he is telling people that I can barely type.

He is perpetuating a fraudulent form of misinformation of a most hurtful type.

NO CHILD needs "shock collar" type consequences. Ever.

MOST children need some parental involvement in their homework process through the elementary years. With Nautigal: if I were not micromanaging this, it would not happen, ever, at all.

Air quotes? Does he think these disorders are not real, or can be disciplined out of a child?

Petunia, your kid may have lots of tricky things to cope with, and he may be a very difficult child to parent, but if someone ever tells you either (1) he is beyond help or (2) he can only be helped through abuse (and why would someone tell you both at the same time, by the way? it's nonsense), take that child in your arms and run the other way as fast as you can.

Our DS, who has a somewhat similar list of traits to your DS's (not diagnosed ODD, but plenty of oppositional behavior), has done very well with ABA therapy and consistent parenting over the years. We expect he will continue to improve-- God knows he still has plenty of room to improve-- and we think that improvement will come faster not through abuse, but through teaching him to manage himself. Children with disabilities are human beings!

Originally Posted by petunia
    My child is highly gifted, grade-accelerated, diagnosed ODD, probably ADHD, possibly ASD, no time management skills, pragrmatic language disorder, immature, and who knows what else and I'm supposed to "just work harder at positive reinforcement of small behaviors" and "don't get involved in his homework"??

I would say, short term:
    --stay as involved as you need to be about homework, and as positively as you can
    --yes, positively reinforce any behavior you want to see more of
    --find that evaluator who can give you really clear diagnostic answers

and medium term:
    --find a behavior therapist (ours is a Board Certified Behavior Analyst) who can help you work toward effective behavior change in a positive and useful way
    --work toward getting school on board to help you

DeeDee

P
    petunia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Now that I've calmed down some, there are a couple of things he said that I did like:

1) Schools give too much homework.
    2) Your relationship with your child is much more important than grades or sports or music practice or any gift you could give.

All good comments and I feel better about it. I just was so frustrated with him and I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who took it that way. Although, to be fair, maybe in context it would have seemed different - you just got my side. Or, maybe with a kids who wasn't already having issues like we are.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM