Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    For the writing, we have found that our youngest (who has to have some undiagnosed SPD and has recently been described by his psychiatrist as having several Asperger's-like characteristics) will work easily on an iPad with a stylus and the Goodnotes app. The app allows for a lined paper template, a magnified portion of the page, and a desensitized area on the screen where you can rest your hand on the screen and still be able to write.

My son hated worksheets with a passion. Part of it was dysgraphia and dyslexia, but it was also revulsion of the way the pencil felt scraping against paper and the way his hand felt moving on the paper. He likes the way it feels on the iPad. While it is a bit pricey, we've found e iPad has removed a lot of the procrastination barriers. (you can also import PDF files of worksheets and then write the answers in on Goodnotes.) we plan to get him one of the new mini-iPads to use at school this fall if Apple does, indeed, release one as predicted.

ABQ Mom - Thanks for the Goodnotes app idea!

My daughter also loves writing on this. We use educreate as well. I'll sometimes hav her create her own review lesson on there and she'll happily create one and watch it. Hubby bought the ipad but we do use it a TON. We bought the 2 when the new one came out and it has worked great for us.

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    Originally Posted by Somerdai
    * use an online system like time4learning.com (I saw this review here) or k5learning.com or iPad apps
    I reviewed k5learning.com at the request of our public school last year, as an option for in-class computer learning for DS7. I formed a very low opinion of it. Be aware also that it is intended as enrichment (at least the math part of the site), not as a tool for primary learning.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I love the tablet idea, but we are low income so I'm not sure how we could pull that one off. I'm almost certain it would work for him though. I'll have to brainstorm that.

I think part of my issue is that Wolf is a workbook fiend. I used to use the threat of no workbook today if you don't behave when he was 2-3 years old. I'm used to a very workbook oriented process. At the same time though, Wolf's handwriting is just above atrocious... With Bear I tried doing spelling words, even writing his own sentences, instead of work book sheets, but that went just as badly. He's always been a puzzle.

I'm not really sure WHY everything except cutting/pasting, drawing and computer work is such a struggle. He's always had to work on holding the pencil right and needs a triangle or his pressure is off. He's a lefty too and he actually has pretty decent letter formation for a little guy. I'll see if I can get him to explain what the problem is. That's always a bit hit or miss with him. He's either perfectly clear or refuses to respond.

Some of my carrots & sticks:
    He learned to read online using reading eggs.  I sat with him & took turns, making sure my turn was on the fast boards or the new levels until he learned how to do them.  3/4 of the way through he knew how to do them all so I had them reset his board and let him work alone.  When he didn't want to work, especially on the timed levels- they're hard, I'd leave if alone for a few days and then at bedtime tell him, "it's bedtime, but if u want to stay up late studying you can do reading eggs.". Sometimes the timed levels take several days of late bedtimes to get through.  LoL at bedtime he suddenly wants to learn everything.  

The worksheets.  I don't know where you're at, but we started with a marker.  It's easier to write with & helped nip perfectionism since you can't erase.  You can mark it out, but grab the sheet if the marking out gets carried away.  The school skills are more important than whatever's on the page.  Move on to ink pen.  A whole year or two later move into pencil. You do housework.  Look very busy doing one task slowly while he does his task.  Wash your dishes and talk to him while he's doing his worksheet.  Sit with him and help him through the first couple of answers.  Time it so you wash a few dishes then walk over to look at the letter or two he wrote and either tell him the next letter or say, "ooh look, you did the c + the h".   Washing dishes is a great start.  Build up to cooking dinner.  That's great because he wants to eat and you can help him while your chopping and boiling and at certain points you can say, "I can help you a little bit, but I have to watch the food or it will burn".  Man.  I like homeschooling.  But now that he's started school I like the walk to and from school.  

If you don't have HWT get a workbook- i'm cheap I only bought 2nd grade- they tell you how to direct the letter writing clearly using jargon you and your son can learn.   Him-  "how do I make a lower case g".   Me- without leaving the sink "make a fat magic c, go up, slide back down and make a hook.".   

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Z
    Z
    It wasn't clear if the target is to get him into public school next year. If not, then maybe let his asynchrony catch up a bit before handwriting practice?

Perhaps strongly encouraging drawing to help with fine motor control?

Or maybe get a plastic stencil for lettering? We have one with the captal letters and shows the sequencing numbering for the strokes as well as the direction to move the pencil.

If the resistance isn't the writing as much, I wonder if it is mainly a push to get more responsibility/choice in the process.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM