Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Old Dad makes a great point about graduating and moving on to college at an early age.

I'll add one more thing (and I may be the only parent on earth that feels this way but here goes!) - I don't want my kids going off to college early for a very selfish reason - *me*! And I do think that even though it might not be the highest-intellectual challenge for them, hanging out with family until they are 17/18 still has a lot to offer smile

polarbear

No, you're not the only one who feels that way. Being a dad is the best job I've got! I don't think I'd be done with dispensing of my fatherly wisdom by age 16, you know, those deep thoughts like when you kid says, "Dad, I was playing Ultimate Frisbee and I rammed my knee into a fire hydrant."...and my reply comes, "Well....don't do that." As well has the most important part of raising children, teaching them good Rock-N-Roll from bad!

I knew a couple who have a son who graduated early. They made what I thought to be a wise move in having their son attend a local community college while living at home for a couple of years before the transfer to state college giving him both time to mature under parental guidance and still get the challenge he needed at age 17-early 18. The summers he spent in an internship as an Electrical Engineer at the nuclear power plant.

Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Once college comes around, more GT students probably fail because of either failure to be challenged in HS or social emotional reasons than anything else.

I managed to graduate college, but I'm pretty sure that I was much more messed up socially and emotionally thanks to the college experience.

I still haven't recovered.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Once college comes around, more GT students probably fail because of either failure to be challenged in HS or social emotional reasons than anything else.

I managed to graduate college, but I'm pretty sure that I was much more messed up socially and emotionally thanks to the college experience.

I still haven't recovered.

And by this I mean "still having college nightmares".

I had a few this month and last. Always fun.

Maybe when I'm 50 I will work through this.

I knew a couple who have a son who graduated early. They made what I thought to be a wise move in having their son attend a local community college while living at home for a couple of years before the transfer to state college giving him both time to mature under parental guidance and still get the challenge he needed at age 17-early 18. The summers he spent in an internship as an Electrical Engineer at the nuclear power plant.

It's tough to break out of the middle class on the engineer track, though.

You really have to go into medicine and get on the ROAD these days.

You almost have to be a dermatologist or radiation oncologist to accrue the wealth you will need to thrust your grandchildren into the lower rungs of the lower upper class in the hopes that their children will finally have lives of leisure and luxury.

O
    O
    Not everyone places such emphasis on breaking out of the middle class, some are just fine outside of a high pressured Ivy league school leading to 60+ hr. work weeks and high stress stress jobs. For some it's just fine to make a comfortable living, leave work at work, and spend their extra time pursuing more enjoyable pursuits.

I get a little worred about what seems to be a great fixation on money chasing among a great many of the members here. I guess, if that's what makes people happy, go for it. Personally I'd like to see more discussion about using giftedness to serve others and for the good of community or those in need. I haven't talked to one retired person yet who has said, "You know, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have worked more, played, volunteered, and applied myself less to more enjoyable and fulfilling pursuits."

Not everyone places such emphasis on breaking out of the middle class, some are just fine outside of a high pressured Ivy league school leading to 60+ hr. work weeks and high stress stress jobs.

I think the point is to endure the 100+ hr. work weeks as an i-banker so that you can establish a trust fund to allow your grandchildren to live aristocratic lives of poetry, privilege, and worldly glory. You won't enjoy it, but they will as they achieve the permanent residence among the top 0.1% that only massive amounts of money and the right upbringing can buy. Yeah, you'll be the outsider always shunned and spoken about in harsh whispers as someone who was born to a low station in life, but they have a chance to truly be accepted.

Although, I'm the guy who represents homeless and dying people.

Granted, sometimes they die because they drink themselves to death. I got one of those last year.

And I also get annoyed when they threaten suicide on the phone. Really? "If you're really thinking about suicide, I'm going to call the ambulance to come get you." That often calms them down. Fortunately, they only really do that with the staff. They're pretty reasonable with me.

Last edited by JonLaw; 09/12/12 07:33 PM. Reason: Edited to more accurately reflect the working life of the newly minted I-banker
    Not everyone places such emphasis on breaking out of the middle class, some are just fine outside of a high pressured Ivy league school leading to 60+ hr. work weeks and high stress stress jobs. For some it's just fine to make a comfortable living, leave work at work, and spend their extra time pursuing more enjoyable pursuits.

I get a little worred about what seems to be a great fixation on money chasing among a great many of the members here. I guess, if that's what makes people happy, go for it. Personally I'd like to see more discussion about using giftedness to serve others and for the good of community or those in need. I haven't talked to one retired person yet who has said, "You know, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have worked more, played, volunteered, and applied myself less to more enjoyable and fulfilling pursuits."

Beautifully put.

My 14yo DD won't be "going away" to an Ivy. She's going to be living at home, and I think that is fine.

I hope that maybe she will take a gap year in order to do an unpaid internship with a local nonprofit that she has worked with since she was nine. We shall see. She also likes the idea of spending some time job shadowing before college in order to better assess what will suit her longterm.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    Kai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks all--I've decided to watch and wait as, for the moment anyway, he's in a reasonably good place.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM