Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    mgl Offline
    M
    Possible cautionary tale: don't have kids with late summer / early fall birthdays.

If only because it's miserable being very pregnant in August. wink

G
    Green Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Wow, thank you everyone for your replies!!! It is a difficult issue for me to think through because there are so many emotions clouding my "gut feeling" -- sadness that he's growing up so fast, missing our time at home together (kindergarten is 6 hours per day, twice as long as preK), admiration for how advanced he is, and worry over every little thing that could possibly go wrong!

I got a better look at all his classmates, and he's actually not the shortest. He's 50th percentile for both height and weight for his age, so I guess he would fit in ok with either the older or younger group. He really is a pretty mature kid as far as sitting still, taking turns, etc. and his fine motor is ok too. And he seems to be starting to make some friends in the class!

Originally Posted by mnmom23
    What about letting him do private K this year (he's already in the class, right?) and then seeing whether you want him to repeat K in the public school next year or whether you want him to go to public 1st. Then you'd have a whole other year to gather data and observe.

I guess this is what we'll do for now. Much as I miss him, I couldn't keep him home now that he's experienced the fun of school. He complains about having to leave his toys in the morning, but after school he always tells me that he had a great time. Even if I did keep him home, I couldn't stop him from continuing to learn. Might as well give him a chance to hone those social skills and get used to doing homework (which seems to be going better this week than last week!).

I also appreciate the suggestion to visit the public elementary school and learn more about the GT program there. Keeping him at the private school is an option too, although we'd have to adjust our financial plans.

As for sports, he's not very athletic right now but we hope he'll develop some interest eventually, for fitness and social reasons. My husband loved swimming and wrestling in HS even though he wasn't the best, and maybe those will be good choices for DS as they're less "team"-oriented.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by mgl
    Possible cautionary tale: don't have kids with late summer / early fall birthdays.

If only because it's miserable being very pregnant in August. wink

Oy...my feet/ankles have never fully recovered smile

Last edited by Evemomma; 09/13/12 10:02 AM.
    G
    Green Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Evemomma
    Or maybe don't have smart kids?

Ha ha. A few months ago I was delighted with DD1's amazing vocabulary, but now I see it a little differently. She'll be 2 in a couple of weeks -- so I guess we'll probably go through this all over again in a few years.

Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Yes, you are referring to Malcolm Gladwell's books. He had looked at what month elite hockey players in Canada were born. I forget the exact details but almost all of them were born within 3 months of the start date- b/c then you had older kids (who were likely bigger and had better motor skills) starting; then those kids were naturally selected for elite teams; they developed faster, etc.
    Obviously, every child is different.

Although I did read Outliers, I'm talking more about my crazy hockey family (in contrast to my overly cautious kid) and how things are around here for elite sports rather than the book. And if we were in Canada, my kiddo would be in the right month to be an elite player, but you can only lead a horse to water... smile

ETA: Also, if you don't start ANY sport young around here, there are very few simply fun, recreational opportunities to play sports when you decide you want to try it out later. Especially team sports.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/13/12 11:38 AM.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    (LOL I might be the only Canadian who's steering my son AWAY from hockey... poor kid has enough pre-frontal cortex issues without risking any hits to the head wink )

Joking aside, I think sports are extremely important, so my two are usually enrolled in something. Currently it's swimming, skating and gymnastics smile

Last edited by CCN; 09/13/12 01:54 PM.
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Joking aside, I think sports are extremely important, so my two are usually enrolled in something. Currently it's swimming, skating and gymnastics smile

I used to think that being involved in a competitive sport was important, I've changed my way of thinking on that in the last 8 years or so. When my eldest was a mid-teen and had been on numerous teams that experienced varying levels of success, he came to me one day and said, "You know, I just can't seem to find a team that wants to ACT like a team, treat each other with dignity and respect, help each other on and off the field, everything a team is suppose to do. If I can't be on a REAL team I have no interest. I'll just do something on my own."

He did, he started into the gym and trained hard in lifting and very disciplined in his diet and sleep. He went from being the little smart kid to one of the more physically developed young men his Jr. & Sr. years in HS.....and he did it by doing his own research, his own discipline and perseverance, and by requesting advice from others and sorting out the good suggestions from the bad. He never competed, though having judged body building contests I think he'd have done well, however, he learned the same lessons he would have in competitive sports, the same ones I learned doing so.

This changed my train of thought. As long as my boys are doing something to keep them physically healthy, I'm good with that. Now DS #2 (14 years old) has seen what it's done for his brother and goes to the gym with me 3 times a week. He's a music kid but his older brother lead by example.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    When my eldest was a mid-teen and had been on numerous teams that experienced varying levels of success, he came to me one day and said, "You know, I just can't seem to find a team that wants to ACT like a team, treat each other with dignity and respect, help each other on and off the field, everything a team is suppose to do. If I can't be on a REAL team I have no interest. I'll just do something on my own."

Aw, what a smart guy... he understood the true meaning of team smile smile

I just figured that team play would be too much of a learning curve for DS, and DD has never shown an interest until recently (she's been playing soccer at lunch at school).

Meanwhile the solo sports they've been in have still provided socialization while giving them skills and exercise. They're happy, and so am I smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM