Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #137685 09/10/12 04:16 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I just came across information about The Lang School in New York City which specializes in meeting the needs of 2E kids. It sounds great - and very pricey. Does anyone know of any other schools specializing in meeting the needs of 2E kids? I know Montgomery County, Maryland public schools has a 2E program but I am wondering about private 2E schools or programs to look at in case we get to the point of seeking out of district placement.

http://www.thelangschool.org/Default.aspx

Pemberley #137687 09/10/12 04:24 PM
    A
    A
    Our district in New Mexico has four schools, but I'm not sure of the quality.

http://www.aps.edu/special-educatio...s-for-students-who-are-twice-exceptional

Pemberley #137688 09/10/12 04:29 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Yes I saw that Albuquerque is on the list of districts with 2E programs. Some others were Howard County Maryland, Westchester County, NY and Scottsdale, AZ. I would have thought that there would be more private options, though...

Pemberley #137699 09/10/12 07:30 PM
    W
    WinonaTac
    Unregistered
    WinonaTac
    Unregistered
    W
    St Christopher Academy in the Seattle area for High School (private). Although the website states it is for kids with "learning differences" and 2E is not stated directly, the focus is truly on 2E students. My son just started as a sophomore after we discovered his 2E profile last year.

http://www.stchristopheracademy.com/html/introduction/introduction.html

Pemberley #137707 09/11/12 03:41 AM
    F
    F
    The 2e newsletter has made several references to Bridges Academy in California. It sounds quite fabulous but I don't live in California so I only know what I have read. They are explicitly gifted and learning different.

http://www.bridges.edu/

Pemberley #137715 09/11/12 06:23 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Is it really possible that there are so few? My mind is racing with the idea of how to make this work. My mother lives only a few subway stops from The Lang School and we are close enough that I could - technically - go stay there with DD M-F and come home on weekends. It would mean a total disruption to family life as well as being expensive and exhausting but there may a way to actually get her what she needs.

I am thinking my current options are

a) keep battling with the school district who I think *wants* to meet her needs but just doesn't get it and would have to reinvent the wheel for her

b) cobble together something with OOD placement locally involving either adding spec ed to the really great private I found or gifted education to a dedicated LD school

c) find some yet to be discovered nugget of gold in the form of a school no one seems to know exists

d) somehow convince the district to provide spec ed services while I homeschool/unschool the giftedness

e) find a way to make it work at this already existing gem just a couple of hours away.

Ironically of the half dozen or so school districts I have found nationwide that currently have established 2E programs I grew up up in one, DH grew up in one and his parents and siblings all currently live in one. It's frustrating to be so enticingly close to something that could work...

Pemberley #137724 09/11/12 07:13 AM
    D
    D
    Pemb, it's good that you are looking at all options.

I do want to mention, without bursting any bubbles, that I went through a major escape-seeking phase with DS's education. I looked everywhere (at one point we were willing to move *anywhere* in principle) before realizing that the "right thing" did not already exist, and the problem had to be solved over time. And it was, eventually, not without difficulty.

How do your negotiations stand now? Your meeting went well, there is another one planned (when?)-- there is an ongoing attempt to make things work, right? I know you can't trust everyone involved, but are you planning to give them a chance to redeem themselves? Has the year started, and how is it going? Is your DD getting the services she needs, and those nice breaks you planned in?

DeeDee

Pemberley #137725 09/11/12 07:43 AM
    Z
    Z
    I was thinking it would be easier to find schools focusing on a particular need and making sure they accomodate gifted and other needs. Here's a site listing schools with a dyslexia focus:
    http://www.dyslexiclikeme.org/schools-2/dyslexic-schools-n-s/york-schools/

Pemberley #137764 09/11/12 10:58 AM
    B
    B
    I have just read about these schools. Academy in CO is a new public charter created by parents who could not find the right fit for the children. The Wa Lab school is private and areound for 45 years.

Academy for Advanced & Creative Learning
    Colordo Springs
    http://www.academyacl.org/

The Lab School of Washington
    http://www.labschool.org/podium/default.aspx?t=136085
    "For 45 years, The Lab School of Washington has been providing an exceptional, college-preparatory academic experience for bright students (grades 1-12) with ADHD, dyslexia, and other learning disabilities. Our innovative, arts-infused curriculum is experiential and multi-sensory, helping young people to overcome difficulties with reading, spelling, writing, and math, while preparing them for a rewarding range of college and career choices. Take a look and learn about all that Lab School has to offer"

They also have a campus in Baltimore
    Baltimore Lab School
    http://www.baltimorelabschool.org/podium/default.aspx?t=140920

Tuition is high, but I believe you can apply for your district to help fund.

Pemberley #137766 09/11/12 11:23 AM
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    b) cobble together something with OOD placement locally involving either adding spec ed to the really great private I found or gifted education to a dedicated LD school

d) somehow convince the district to provide spec ed services while I homeschool/unschool the giftedness

I like both of these options.

also - Look at Eagle Hill School in Southport,
    www.eaglehillschool.org for a school that specialized in LD and at least gets placing students by ability.

Good Luck!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM