Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Dottie, I was just thinking about the achievement test. I think the WJIII is a good first step for us in seeing where DS performs, but that we might need a meatier AT for discerning placement, should WJIII indicate it. WOuld something like the SCAT through JHU work for an almost 8yr old?

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 04/13/08 11:05 AM.
    Isn't SCAT an aptitude test rather than an achievement test?

Last edited by Cathy A; 04/13/08 11:08 AM.
    Cathy: I'm not sure. I Found this on the Davidson Gifted Database.

"The SCAT measures specific abilities in the verbal and quantitative areas. This test provides information essential for making general decisions concerning level and pace of instruction. Because its focus is on aptitude,the SCAT should not be used in isolation to make decisions about specific educational objectives."

Perhaps it's not the best one to use? I'll have to ask what our school offers. They have their state test. But I don't know if taking that a year or two ahead would be sufficient.

The IAS recommends using aptitude tests to identify kids in need of acceleration. I think SCAT is one of them.

Here's what it says:

Aptitude tests indicate a student's potential to learn new material in a specific subject, the content of which typically has not been taught in school. Aptitude tests can be general or subject-specific. Results from above-level achievement tests are considered an excellent indicator of aptitude in a specific content area.

Also:

On an above-level test (compared to students in the above-level grade), the student's scores were:

At or below the 49th percentile -- Verbal: 0 points, Quantitative: 0 points

Between the 50th and 74th percentiles -- Verbal: 2 points, Quantitative: 2 points

At or above the 75th percentile -- Verbal: 4 points, Quantitative: 4 points.

Last edited by Cathy A; 04/13/08 11:33 AM.
    My dd8 was offered a whole grade skip + an additional grade skip in math for next year.

I was a little surprised since I had not asked for the grade skip. It was a little weird since it was the school selling me on the grade skip, not the other way around. They had already talked to all of my dd's teachers (current as well as next year's) and made sure they were all on board. They obvioulsy gave this a lot of thought and by the end of the meeting I was feeling very confident that this is indeed what is best for my dd.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the school's decision to grade skip, by my dd recently took the SCAT thru JHU Talent Search and she did extremely well. I know the school received a copy of her test scores. Obvioulsy they also took into consideration her level of maturity and her current school work. Her current homeroom teacher was a strong advicate for the grade skip. The assistant head of school is also very involved with the children and she gets to know them very well. She is very dedicated to making sure all the children are correctly placed.

Once again, I cannot feel anything but fortunate for finding such a perfect fit for my dd.

The more you say about this school, Bianca, the more envious I become. Congratulations, and could you ask them to clone themselves and mail the copies to schools around the country?

wink

Kriston
    I will ask!!(about the cloning)LOL

You should visit their website at www.mirman.org if you want to know more about the school. Dottie is getting close to moving West (just kidding)grin

They only need to raise 40 million dollars. Anyone here that can write a check for that amount?

D
    D
    That is reassuring to hear since I have just signed the registration contract for our son to attend a college preparatory school beginning next year. I would have thought this school would be out of our middle-class reach, but we are the happy parents of the recipient of a very generous financial aid/scholarship award. The distance and traffic are my only reservations, but I am quite optimistic about this incredible opportunity for him.

That is a great point you brought forward delbows. Most private/independent schools have financial aid/scholarships available.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM