Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    cym #13691 04/13/08 08:46 AM
    S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Dottie - I wasn't really worried, just pokin' at ya.

Grinity - We don't watch much TV and I won't watch The Simpsons, although DH thinks it is hilarious. Not sure he'd sit down and explain things, though, in the way ou have in mind. DS loves to watch Clifford and Wheel of Fortune. You think "Andy Griffith" would do it? (funny emoticon here, if I could figure out how to do that!) I am thinking about what you said.

Empathy is not my strong suit, so I'll have to think about that as wel. But, I'm wondering about something. We lost our dog in December (she was very old) and are thinking of getting another dog. Any thoughts on dogs being able to help kids with empathy? Or socialization?

I also wondered about any thoughts of his being an only child affecting this and if so, if anyone else with just one had ideas?

squirt #13702 04/13/08 11:26 AM
    Ann Offline
    "We lost our dog in December (she was very old) and are thinking of getting another dog. Any thoughts on dogs being able to help kids with empathy? Or socialization?

I also wondered about any thoughts of his being an only child affecting this and if so, if anyone else with just one had ideas?"

Hi Squirt! My DS2 is an only child. We have a 15y/o cat that DS likes to take care of (brush, pet, feed). If she (cat) gets startled, DS will tell her "It's okay, don't be scared." However, if he could trade our cat for a riding lawn mower or a tractor he would. smile

Before DS turned 2 (but I can't remember exactly when), he would describe the emotions of people and animals. One evening DS told me that he thought I looked sad and proceeded to pat me on the shoulder and tell me everything would be okay. blush

I'm not sure if these are the kinds of (only child) examples you are looking for.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM