Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #136783 08/30/12 11:20 AM
    A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    My ds is 12yo and in a public school, and we have up until now not made use of electronic/online math resources. However, I ran into an iPad Trigonometry book published by School Yourself in the Apple iBooks store earlier this month and decided to try it out on him. The book cost $5, and School Yourself is a small start up run by a few MIT grads. The book consists of a mix of text, interactive figures/demos and lectures with verbal explanations combined with animated derivations, etc. There are exercises as well - when you type your answer in the provided box and submit, you are instantly told if your answer is correct. If not, you can try again. Ds had been through Algebra 1 last year at school, and started the Trig book earlier this month. He has worked through almost the entire book already and has gained a good conceptual grasp of the topics covered - he is now on the last chapter. And he is begging for the next book, Calculus, due out in October.

Perhaps good electronic math resources are plentiful - we haven't really looked into them before - but we were impressed with this one. One difference from standard textbooks (he had the one by McDougall Littel last year) is that the number of exercises is limited. For us, this is a welcome change from the endless nightly math homework he gets at school; however, a companion workbook would be desirable at some point to help develop fluency.

Last edited by amylou; 08/30/12 12:18 PM.
    B
    B
    Thanks for the recommendation. Wolfram, creator of Mathematica, has iPad apps for math, physics, chemistry, and music theory http://products.wolframalpha.com/courseassistants/ , each costing $2. I am surprised at how inexpensive apps are.

Too bad these aren't available for a wider range of platforms. Thanks for the recommendations anyway.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Wolfram, creator of Mathematica, has iPad apps for math, physics, chemistry, and music theory .

We bought the Wolfram app for Algebra while my kids were taking Algebra last year, and found that it was not as useful as I hoped it would be. In fact, we ended up not really using it at all. But I'd be interested in hearing how other students have used it - maybe we are missing out on something good.

Last edited by amylou; 08/30/12 12:18 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM