Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
    J
    J
    I do not think everyone who wants to go to an Ivy league school is simply chasing status. I went to Harvard for medical school because I felt, frankly, it was the best in the USA. I found most of the lecturers to be phenomenal, the physical structure of the place (the library, the computers), to be incredible, the resources were spectacular.
    My classmates were similarly incredible.
    Having some very elite names on my resume has helped me long-term pursue my dreams/goals, which were not to work at elite companies. It has opened lots and lots of doors. We hope our children will also go to Ivy league (or similar) schools since it opens lots of job opportunities and affords unique life/learning experiences.

Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Having some very elite names on my resume has helped me long-term pursue my dreams/goals, which were not to work at elite companies. It has opened lots and lots of doors. We hope our children will also go to Ivy league (or similar) schools since it opens lots of job opportunities and affords unique life/learning experiences.

Uh, this is pretty much "status" and why "status" is pursued.

Although in the legal complex right now, "status" is more linked to "ability to actually pay back your $200,000 loans."

E
    E
    Maybe I'm just naive, but I was not aware of any cheating when I was at Harvard Law School. There definitely were study groups, but not outright cheating.

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Maybe I'm just naive, but I was not aware of any cheating when I was at Harvard Law School. There definitely were study groups, but not outright cheating.

Open book take home exams were where it occurred, not in the actual proctored exams.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Open book take home exams were where it occurred, not in the actual proctored exams.

Well, OK, I guess. I lived off-campus, so I took most of those exams sitting in the library. I didn't observe any group work or other obvious cheating based on what I saw, but there could have been some in the dorms that I didn't see. Take-home tests are really just 6-hour tests with no restrictions on where you can work at Harvard - you pick your exam up at 10 AM, write for six hours, and turn it in at 4PM. I can't remember more than maybe one class where I kept a test overnight.

Now, I also tried to take in-class exam classes rather than take-home exams or (god forbid) papers whenever possible. So maybe I was just exposed to less of it.

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM