Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Well, mon, that's your answer. The elite priveledged kids will still get their advanced education. By not offering advanced track options in the public school you're only denying disadvantaged youth from excelling because the wealthy elitist parents will still pay for their childrens education elsewhere, or tutoring.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Wait. That's probably not right. I was just thinking that their video's not right, showing a perfectly racially diverse classroom with a small class size of engaged students and I jumped on a knee-jerk reactionary response that tugs at the same heart strings. We should probably just stick with the truth, we're just parents trying to do the best for our children. In the case of the gifted children it means not clipping their wings while they're developing. All children deserve the chance to grow and thrive in their own childhood.

Eta: the video's not right because that kind of small, engaged, racially diverse classroom they depicted IS not what they are trying to preserve... Really?! That's a picture of the public school class that ability grouping would destroy?! Uh-huh.

Last edited by La Texican; 08/24/12 02:32 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    You know how some people don't want to call children gifted or advanced because they want to call it something else?  I was thinking maybe if you kept calling advanced, but you called the other kids novice and beginning.  Would that be less offensive?  That implies that all children are on the same path to being educated.  
    Or is it not the word gifted that irks some people, just the idea that some kids are ahead of others?  Like, does everybody have to quit being ahead to make it ok? 

This train of thought is in response to this article Bostonian posted "equality vs excellence"
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/Peabody/SMPY/InequityInEquity.pdf

And this "anti-ability grouping PSA"
    Posted by Mon.
    http://www.tolerance.org/blog/students-beware-ability-grouping-ahead

Eta: still reading the article.
    It seems that some people feel that identifying high-ability students is used to impede rather than support. I just thought of a new way to track kids. You could have one class that wants to learn and one class that wants to do the bare minimum. The teacher that likes to differentiate can have the students that want to learn, whatever their abilities, and they support the students and don't hold them back. The students are self selected.

Last edited by La Texican; 08/25/12 07:53 AM.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    I just thought of a new way to track kids. You could have one class that wants to learn and one class that wants to do the bare minimum. The teacher that likes to differentiate can have the students that want to learn, whatever their abilities, and they support the students and don't hold them back. The students are self selected.

Interesting idea--but I think it might suffer some of the same issues as other tracking systems once the parents figured out what was going on--I think most parents would not want their kid in the 'bare minimum' group. So then I can imagine all the parents who care raising heck about getting their kid into the 'wants to learn' class regardless of how their kid feels.

Re lack of political correctness, here's another interesting idea that I heard awhile ago but haven't seen work yet. A speaker re 2e kids suggested that one rationale that might help advocates of gifted education is that minority/underprivileged/socioeconomically challenged 2e kids tend to be under-identified, and screening for and helping such kids might be useful to schools and teachers under the No-Child-Left-Behind incentive structure. I don't know how the recent changes to No-Child-Left-Behind might affect this, but it was an interesting idea that these 2e kids might be particularly under-served, and that including them as a reason for gifted identification and education might be helpful in advocating for gifted kids generally, as well as being a very good thing to do.

Last edited by Dbat; 08/25/12 02:33 PM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM