Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    U
    No need to tell me how to find more recent papers, Bostonian. wink I do this all day long. There is a vast wealth of research on this subject. The issues is going to be finding some good meta-analyses that are coming from people without an axe to grind (of any sort). For instance, the "more recent review" you linked to in the previous thread is not a meta-analysis, nor even a study. It's clearly an opinion piece. It's interesting reading, but I suspect it was heavily cherry-picked.

D
    D
    You know, I've been thinking that what I have *not* seen (or at least don't remember seeing) is a study/discussion in which actual gifted (and hopefully successful) adults say what was best and worst about their K-12 education. This might end up being just a collection of anecdotes, and since the educational system has changed a lot over the past few decades it might not be entirely applicable to the current systems, but I think it would be interesting at least. I've heard stories, but usually just about one person at a time.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    A previous thread on tracking, which has been discussed in this thread, is

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....0001/All_Together_Now_the_need_for_.html
    All Together Now? (the need for ability grouping)

The article at the Education Next site received many comments.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    For instance, the "more recent review" you linked to in the previous thread is not a meta-analysis, nor even a study. It's clearly an opinion piece. It's interesting reading, but I suspect it was heavily cherry-picked.

The Kulik paper at the beginning of the old thread and the Benbow article linked to yesterday both had 13 pages of references. The Kulik paper summarizes results of a lot of previous studies.

Originally Posted by pages xi and xii of Kulik paper
    Several research groups have carried out meta-analyses on grouping findings.
    Among the most comprehensive analyses are those carried out by Robert Slavin at Johns Hopkins University and those conducted by my research group at the University of Michigan. These meta-analyses show that different grouping programs produce different effects. Some programs have little or no effect on students, other programs have moderate effects, and still other programs have large effects. The key distinction is among (a) programs in which all ability groups follow the same curriculum; (b) programs in which all groups follow curricula adjusted to their ability; and (c) programs that make curricular and other adjustments for the special needs of highly talented learners.

It seems odd to call them opinion pieces when they have so many references to support author claims, as well as so many summaries of other studies.

I remember going down this road with you in the thread about TJ High School. You kept asking for peer-reviewed studies that supported links between better nutrition and better performance in school. Nothing I provided was good enough for you, yet you didn't provide any alternatives. I'm wondering what your motivation was at this point, and what you're looking for. I'm sure you're not asking us to find or analyze papers for you. smile

Maybe you should provide some papers and an analysis.

Last edited by Val; 08/24/12 09:26 AM. Reason: Clarity
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I'd like to make a comment based on this quote from the article:

She was so bored that she no longer wanted to go to school. So her mother, Lisa Clemans-Cope, spoke to Bradley Hills about providing more challenging work. She was told that her advanced learner would get it. But “what we saw was so sparse and totally inadequate,” she says.

Finally, Clemans-Cope signed up Eleanor for an entrance exam for the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, Johns Hopkins University’s competitive program for students in grades two through eight with exceptional math and verbal reasoning skills.

Eleanor passed easily, but her parents found the courses too expensive. She now attends weekly math sessions at a private after-school academic enrichment program with her best friend and several neighborhood kids. It costs her parents about $100 a month.

“You have to do something if your kid is not learning,” Clemans-Cope says. “We cannot sit and do nothing while [the school system works] things out.”

Schools can make sure no one gets ahead in school (although this is wrong), but they end up pushing the ability-grouped, advanced classes in math and other subjects into the private realm. Lower-income and minority students will be under-represented in gifted programs and in "top track" classes, because there is an achievement gap, but the disparity may be even larger in private classes, because parents must have the means, the background knowledge, and the desire to seek them out. We know what AMC, AOPS, CTY, EPGY, SET etc. stand for. I think most of the general public do not.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Schools can make sure no one gets ahead in school (although this is wrong), but they end up pushing the ability-grouped, advanced classes in math and other subjects into the private realm. Lower-income and minority students will be under-represented in gifted programs and in "top track" classes, because there is an achievement gap, but the disparity may be even larger in private classes, because parents must have the means, the background knowledge, and the desire to seek them out.

Exactly. We tried a free charter school last year, and it didn't have a lot to offer a HG+ kid. We can afford to homeschool via CTY and other private options, so we are.

IMO, the public schools should be providing better opportunities to lower income gifted students (if they did, the higher income people might stick around).

Z
    Z
    Val, that very thing is happening through the magnet program at the Title 1 school our son attends. The K-2 aspect is open to any student, and the school is taking lessons learned through the program and carrying them into the non-magnet classrooms. Though there are a couple of public HG+ options in the city, we are hoping the school can keep up as I think they have a great model.

PDF about the program:
    http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/mediaroom/...mersion%20and%20Talent%20Development.pdf

Originally Posted by Val
    Schools can make sure no one gets ahead in school (although this is wrong), but they end up pushing the ability-grouped, advanced classes in math and other subjects into the private realm. Lower-income and minority students will be under-represented in gifted programs and in "top track" classes, because there is an achievement gap, but the disparity may be even larger in private classes, because parents must have the means, the background knowledge, and the desire to seek them out.

Exactly. We tried a free charter school last year, and it didn't have a lot to offer a HG+ kid. We can afford to homeschool via CTY and other private options, so we are.

IMO, the public schools should be providing better opportunities to lower income gifted students (if they did, the higher income people might stick around).

I think that higher income people tend to try to avoid lower income people, just on general principle.

In the minds of many better off people, poor people = crime and/or lack of appropriate culture.

Either that or poor people = ability for better off people to provide charity to the unfortunate.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I think that higher income people tend to try to avoid lower income people, just on general principle.

In the minds of many better off people, poor people = crime and/or lack of appropriate culture.

Either that or poor people = ability for better off people to provide charity to the unfortunate.

I can say lots of non-PC things too, but I don't see how this advances this discussion.

Originally Posted by JonLaw

I can say lots of non-PC things too, but I don't see how this advances this discussion.

I take it that you don't have to play the school redistricting game on an annual basis.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM