Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Dbat
    I am so glad that you all have found this approach successful. I wish I could say the same--in my experience, many teachers/coaches/adults take any discussion of how DD is different (let alone an acknowledgment by us in writing) as an admission that she should not be in that class/sport/part of the world, rather than as a constructive effort to help things work out for everyone. Indeed, the usual thinking seems to be
    different kid = more trouble for me = bad --> exclude kid if at all possible. I have been very discouraged by this, and the result is that I usually try to head off any problems by finding camps, etc. where the chances of her fitting in are better--as you might imagine, this has often been hit-or-miss. But it has allowed her to participate in some things from which she would otherwise have been excluded entirely. Fortunately not everyone has that response, but I have to say that in our area (Southeast) there don't seem to be many kids who are "e," let alone 2e-ish, and there seem to be a lot of grownups who don't want to be bothered and don't see anything wrong with excluding a kid who is different.

Sorry, as usual I realize my post is not necessarily helpful--but I'm glad that you have the opportunity to write such letters and to work constructively to help your child, and maybe knowing that this is a really good thing will cheer you up as you write! smile

DBAt, Not sure where you are in the southeast but I have heard this before about that general area. It is so sad. I have heard it specifically about Alabama and Tennessee. Sorry you and your child have such trouble. frown

D
    D
    Thanks for the sympathy, marytheres smile We are actually in North Carolina, and there are a number of universities and intellectual types in the area, so I've been surprised that there aren't more resources for these kinds of kids locally. I should also say that DD has had several wonderful teachers who were great with her--just that it has been hit or miss, and about half the time we've ended up with someone who is unhelpful and one or two so far who have been downright mean (and have had help doing it, to my eternal disappointment). Thank goodness for those wonderful teachers as well as all the great online resources (including this forum!) or I would really be lost.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Kathleen'smum - use anything you like! This letter was so difficult to write, and from the feedback here, it wasn't a total success, but it has thus far been well received by the teachers. The goal for me was to arm them with info they could go back and read when they need it, to make them aware he had an IEP, and to keep very hands-off this early on.

Dbat (I love that my iPad always tries to correct your screen name to EBay) - I've learned that having a large population of very bright, educated people doesn't mean they know one whit about a 2E child. I've been pleasantly surprised to find out my son's lit teacher has a 2E son with dyslexia. I'm hoping this means it is a good match and that she won't presume certain things about my son's abilities since mine also has other LD's, but at least she knew what 2E meant!

Good luck to you ...

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Just wanted to add a short update.

I received an email from one of his teachers tonight describing the lesson she has planned for tomorrow, after which she asked me whether my son would be ok participating with the class or if she should provide him an alternative assignment.

In all the years my kids have been at school, this has never happened this early in the school year.

I am so glad I sent the email. It has already gotten the year off to a very different start.

D
    D
    That's great to hear, Lisa. It really does sound like things
    might work this year for your DS, and I certainly hope so.

BTW, thanks for this thread--I have been thinking quite
    a bit this week about whether I should try this in some
    cases in the future, and did start to draft something
    just to see what it would look like. Since we're at
    private school, we don't have an IEP, which would let
    me just focus on the possible issues that might arise
    and how best to deal with them, rather than necessarily
    getting bogged down in the various proposed (mis?)diagnoses.
    I still think that in our area there are a number of
    people who would just be turned off by something like
    this, though, so maybe it could be something I shared with
    people like the teacher you're dealing with now, who
    show some interest in trying to work with a different kid
    and seem receptive to suggestions. Although in my experience
    people have either been willing to try and generally 'get'
    how to do it (and so don't really need much advice), or
    they have absolutely no interest and just want us to go away.
    But I'm glad it worked for you, and it's worth keeping in
    mind. Thanks again, and good luck!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM