Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #130110 05/21/12 12:43 PM
    W
    wildcat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I need advise for a gifted curriculum for students moving to first grade. These two students are approximately at a third grade and higher ability in reading. My thought is to compact the first and second curriculum and teach the third grade with extensions in writing, reading projects, and critical thinking. This would be a pull-out situation. I am wondering if anyone has had this situation and what did you do?

C
    C
    Are these your children or are you their teacher? Also, if you are their teacher, are you teaching only these two and how much time to you have to devote individually to them if not? I've never had a pull out program (or any other, for that matter) do that much individualization for my kids, but that sounds great if you can do it.

If you are going to compact the 1st & 2nd grade curriculum in most of the core subjects, is there a consideration of grade skipping them to 3rd after they complete 1st, then?

Sorry, I have more questions than answer right now, but I'm sure that we'll have more to offer when we know more what your role is and what the longer term options are!

M
    M
    You may try the Mensa for kids site for suggested reading material. If it's a daily pull, that's what my DS got starting in 1st grade. They did novels and hit the required curriculum that way. I remember the Westing Game was one, although I don't remember if that was 1st or 2nd. His teacher in 3rd had them do literature review, which where awesome.

Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM