Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    TEACHERMOM3.14, Drusillain, chinnny, Fast Words, LC001
    11242 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Topic Options
    #13462 - 04/10/08 05:54 AM Re: Question about algebra and radical acceleratio [Re: squirt]
    LMom Offline

Originally Posted By: squirt
    I read somewhere in some thread about math and "going deeper instead of higher". How do you do that at elementary levels? I mean, adding and subtracting can only go so deep. Then, you pretty much have to move on to bigger numbers and multiplication and division? Or, am I missing something?

Yes, you need to move on to bigger numbers, multiplication and division. You are completely right, you can get only that far with addition and subtraction. Once you cover multiplication adn division things get more interesting, you can do Zaccaro, you can also look into Singapore Challenging Word Problems (3 and up. I wouldn't really bother with the lower ones).

You can also do things like Venn Perplexors, I suggest LevelB (3rd-6th grade). You don't even need multiplication or division for this. Kriston, your son may like it.

Of course we still add new concepts in like prime numbers, addition of fractions, geometry, ... It's pretty much unavoidable, but like I said you can go deep from a certain level and give them problems which will require some effort.

#13464 - 04/10/08 06:06 AM Re: Question about algebra and radical acceleratio [Re: LMom]
    Kriston Offline

Loc: Midwest
    Oooh! I've never heard of Venn Perplexors. I'm hitting Amazon right now. Thanks, LMom!

#13467 - 04/10/08 06:23 AM Re: Question about algebra and radical acceleratio [Re: Kriston]
    LMom Offline

#13550 - 04/11/08 08:46 AM Re: Question about algebra and radical acceleratio [Re: LMom]
    Dazed&Confuzed Offline

Yes - now I have Venn Perplexors on my to buy list.

Thanks for the info!

#13561 - 04/11/08 05:27 PM Re: Question about algebra and radical acceleratio [Re: Dazed&Confuzed]
    EandCmom Offline

Originally Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed
    Yes - now I have Venn Perplexors on my to buy list.

Our local Hobby Town USA carries lots of these products. I think that is a national chain so if you have one near you, you might check it out before you order and have to pay shipping.

smile

#13569 - 04/11/08 06:25 PM Re: Question about algebra and radical acceleratio [Re: OHGrandma]
    Grinity Offline

Loc: Connecticut
    Originally Posted By: OHGrandma

Neato, that's happening more and more with GS8. I got a bit rattled when he was accepted in the gifted program for this semester, and I was thinking, "what if he continues to get farther ahead of his classmates?" And I decided I'd deal with it when it became a problem. Then at the beginning of this final quarter he took another reading test which showed he'd gained over a year GE in 1 quarter, putting him at 8.1 GE for reading. And I got rattled again, wondering what we'll do if he continues to get farther ahead. That's when I realized, what we are doing is working! He's getting a lot of other things from school, we have fun after school, and he's learning! It is working well for him, too.

Yippee!!!!
    ((Sun parts the clouds and a ray reaches down to shine on dear OHGrandma's lovely satisfied face!! Flower petals drift to earth and dazzle in the sunlight.))

I've read (somewhere) that the higher the level of teaching the greater the spread will of achievement will be. I believe this to be true, and hope that this doesn't put folks off of excellent educations. It's not our faults, it's just the nature of things.

I'm quite sure that every child in my son's school could be far above where they currently are if we individualized education to every child and filled schools with large numbers of folks who loved to learn and teach their particular subjects - not as full time teachers - perhaps as little as 1 hour a day, or through pre-recorded programs or really well designed computer based learning. Or turn every school into a farm where all the learning activities were based on real life problem solving? We just don't know yet, but we will, if we keep looking. And yes, my guess is that the variety of achievements and the variety of achievement levels would increase tremendously.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

#13570 - 04/11/08 06:29 PM Re: Question about algebra and radical acceleratio [Re: LMom]
    aline Offline

Loc: Southwest
    Ok 'Neato My Dad used to say how good it would be for me to fail at something. Scary thing is, now that I'm a middle-aged parent I understand it...

aline

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  M-Moderator, Mark D. 
    Recent Posts
    College debt, default, ROI
    by indigo
    12/07/22 08:37 AM
    Out of level/early SAT
    by Vansh
    12/02/22 11:23 AM
    Aging
    by indigo