Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #13495 04/10/08 12:41 PM
    OP Offline
    On GS8's report card, in the comment section, his art teacher put in the comments saying "creative" & "shows special talent". This is a different teacher than the one he had in the first semester, and she also put in those comments. So, what do you do with artistic kids?

If this test photo works, I'll scan some of his drawings:
    Test didn't work, removed link

Last edited by OHGrandma; 04/10/08 05:37 PM. Reason: removed link, not GS8's drawing
    OP Offline
    !!!!That was a ***TEST****, that was a photo from an article on foxnews.com. I'm not at home, so I didn't have any of his drawings handy to scan. If it worked, then I'd scan and upload it.

Q
    Q
    I was thinking, whoa, great computer animation! Get this kid a job!!

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    So, what do you do with artistic kids?

Art is one of my dd's interests for which I have to find others to guide her since I am totally ignorant and completely void of talent in that area.

I recommend asking around to find a good art teacher. I received a wonderful recommendation from another mom of a gifted child. Also look at local universities, art museums, and art galleries/alliances for camps and classes.

My dd has taken two different types of art classes. From the art teacher I mentioned above she takes a drawing class. She also takes an art class through the local university which explores art in different cultures and through different mediums.

Your public library may have a few drawing books in the children's section as a starting point. Kidpix is a good children's graphics program if your gs likes computers. I purchased a copy from one of those $.99 software sites. My dd has also recently enjoyed a book entitled "Art Fraud Detective" from Mindware. Yesterday I found some interesting books and card sets on this site when I was looking up Ed Zaccaro information. I think my dd may get some of those for her birthday.

http://www.challengemath.com/products/category.asp?QueryLoad=1&category=Art%20History

One of the pluses of having a child around who is a good artist is that you get some great pieces to hang on the refrigerator.

Summer

OP Offline
    Thanks Summer,

Yes, I have a great pencil drawing of a parrot on my office wall, unfortunately he did it on notebook paper but I guess that just lends some authenticity to the fact that an 8 year old did it.
    I looked up our local university and found they have summer classes for kids in all sorts of things. Now I just have to figure a way to get him there, and home again.

I have a few notebook paper masterpieces myself. I try to keep plenty of drawing pads around so that future masterpieces are on a more complementary medium.

I hope you can work out the transportation issue. If not, you might be able to find some instructional videos at the library.

Originally Posted by Texas Summer
    My dd has also recently enjoyed a book entitled "Art Fraud Detective" from Mindware.

We have that book too and my DS7 has really enjoyed it also. It's a lot of fun!! smile

I third Art Fraud Detective - I was always so happy when one of my nieces or nephews got old enough so I could give it as a gift.

There are actually 3 Art Fraud Detective books. We have all of them and love them. Even fun (and educational!) for adults. It's a book about art full of great art works, but it's also an "I Spy" game for the older set.

Really a great series!

K-

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    There are actually 3 Art Fraud Detective books.

Oh my, there you go again, telling me about books that I am going to need. I had no idea there were 3 of them. I'll have to look into that. Thanks! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM