Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    h

Last edited by master of none; 12/25/13 10:28 AM.
    master of none - I have absolutely no advice to give on the ADHD as I don't know much about it, but your comment about your daughter having a rich fantasy life and getting lost in acting out stories with her dolls and stuffed animals for hours on end reminded me of Agatha Christie's autobiography. This is exactly how she spent her days as a child!!! And look how things turned out for her! smile

I do think her great imagination needs to be nurtured on some sort of level, but you're right, she does need to work on compartmentalizing in order to get anything done. My DS10 has had some trouble paying attention in school (he also has a rich fantasy life!) and it turns out it is partially due to a visual disability. Things have also gotten better as he's gotten older.

Hopefully someone will have some great advice for you on ADHD. smile

As a daydreamer myself who has tried to channel that tendency in a productive fashion...

Have you tried to get her to write? Great poetry and fiction (ala Agatha Christie!) can come out of people with glazed-over eyes.

Even if her compositions are created on a voice recorder or some other oral method--in case handwriting slows her down too much--it might be a way to get her out of dream mode in her day-to-day life.

I don't know if it would work, but it might help. smile

FWIW (not much), she doesn't sound ADHD to me. Just not interested in what's going on in school when she can turn to her rich imagination instead. But I'm about as far from an expert on the subject as you can get!

Kriston
    Waving madly---------

PLEASE- look into Dabrowski's overexcitabilites. Specifically intellectual overexcitabilities.

MON- you just describe me and DD5! This caused me to overachieve big time in school. It's something I'm definately keeping an eye on for her.
    I LITERALLY stared out the window for 8 grades! Not good.
    Unfortunately I don't have any solutions, I'm looking into it myself.

I have no idea if overexcitabilities are causing this for your DD,but you may want to check into it.

Neato

E
    E
    FWIW,

In answer to your question, yes, ADD/ADHD can present in the early school years. In fact many in the field say that you really can't accurately assess ADD/ADHD until the early school years. However, while a child can certainly be both gifted and ADD/ADHD, it is a label to be very wary about.
    I have been searching for about 3 years to find a Psychiatrist that can truly answer that question for our son. So far what we get is that he looks like he is ADD/ADHD combined type. However, we do not medicate and his behaviors are slowly improving. If your daughter has been in an academic setting that has not challenged her, she has also probably picked up some bad coping techniques. It will take time for her to learn to tune into the class instead of daydream smile I think you are right to work with her on paying attention and providing other outlets for her wonderful imagination.

We have a good friend who retired after being an elementary principal for 25+ years. He's convinced that a lot of ADHD symptoms are brought on by not enough sleep and/or not enough (appropriate) physical activity.
    You could be right on the mark about your DD needing the exercise.

Interesting. We had DD initially evaluated by psyd for ADHD, we were worried about her behavior. Our pediatrician said before he would recommend any treatment for it, he wanted to do a sleep study to rule out sleep disturbances.
    We never went that far because psyd. ruled out ADHD.

S
    S
    I don't know much about it either, but I do have a friend whose doctor thought her daughter was ADD/ADHD. She questioned it and did some research and found that allergies can cause some of the same symptoms you describe. Sure enough, the daughter was allergice to several things (can't remember what they are). You might check out that angle if things don't improve with the other suggestions here.

Interesting. I'd not heard that.

GT kids do seem to be more prone to allergies than ND kids, so there's another factor to play with...

Kriston
    Interesting article I just found on Yahoo, it talks about exercise, sports especially, improving mental health by improving moods. I know GS8 is in a better mood when he gets lots of exercise. Of course, I'm in a better mood when I don't have to go along on those long hikes wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM