Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    the question is whether this school wants people who are *already* high achievers or whether it wants those with the *potential* for high achievement.

Here's their mission statement:
    http://www.tjhsst.edu/abouttj/plans/mission.php

Mission Statement

The mission of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is to provide students a challenging learning environment focused on math, science, and technology, to inspire joy at the prospect of discovery, and to foster a culture of innovation based on ethical behavior and the shared interests of humanity.
    Beliefs

At Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, we believe:

Critical thinking and problem solving skills are vital in addressing the complex societal and ethical issues of our time.
    Students learn best in a community where academic disciplines are integrated, fostering an appreciation of how they interact and form a whole.
    Global interdependence compels us to understand the languages, systems and diverse cultures of people throughout the world.
    Literature, music and the arts are essential, timeless aspects of human existence.
    The methods of science provide discipline to our search for structure in the world.
    Research stems from a combination of fundamental knowledge, individual creativity and curiosity.
    Effective communication is often the only difference between a good idea and a successful initiative.
    Collaborative learning, athletics, and extracurricular activities develop leadership and interpersonal skills.
    Responsibility and integrity are core principles in the pursuit of excellence.
    Learning never ends.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    M
    M
    and, actually, a group of people in Loudoun County is looking to start a science and tech charter school similar to TJ to provide another option to the students who can't get into TJ due to space constraints.

I think the article I linked that said that this has not allowed more under-served minorities into the school was really telling.

Originally Posted by g2mom
    7) there are tons more applications and preapplications for TJ than there are spots. noone gets into TJ without being gifted. it is just the flavor of gifted that is altered. the concern is that they are now using criteria that can be gamed, much like new york gifted kindergartens. if there were enough spots for all the qualified kids, perhaps there wouldnt be a problem. the former white elite are being outcompeted by the tigermoms. and they dont like it. it is not a matter of less intelligent needing remediation.

Used to live in VA. familiar with controversy.

So they have decided that they want high achievement, not potential for high achievement.

High achievement can *always* be gamed.

G
    G
    i dont think they intended to create a gameable system. I think they underestimated the tenacity of the tigermom.
    I think the were trying to be more fair and just ended up being unfair in a different way.
    whenever you have to disperse a limited resource the criteria for chosing will inevitable skew in some direction. sometimes it just doesnt happen in the ways the planners predict.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Wouldn't you agree that top-notch achievement depends on environment too? Isn't it likely that some of the people who just missed the cut in the old days were laboring under the effects of some relative disadvantages?

Yes, which is why I keep mentioning nutrition and medical care. But for schools...I agree with La Texican when she said "if the school's so great they should make copies of the school, not change it."

Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Wouldn't you agree that top-notch achievement depends on environment too? Isn't it likely that some of the people who just missed the cut in the old days were laboring under the effects of some relative disadvantages?

Yes, which is why I keep mentioning nutrition and medical care. But for schools...I agree with La Texican when she said "if the school's so great they should make copies of the school, not change it."

You need to train the parents in tigermomming.

Nutrition won't do it.

You have to dig deep into the family structure and make psychosocial changes.

Val Offline
    True, but nutrition would help. So would prenatal care.

Good prenatal nutrition and childhood nutrition are the most easily changed aspects of IQ. Most controlled studies show a disparity of 20+ IQ points between poor and good nutrition.

The next is expectations set by the parents and by the culture the kids are raised in. Mom_of_1 hits it right and having played on "select" teams when I was young, I know what the "expectations" are in the black community. They suck. And it sucks on the Rez and it sucks in the Barrio, too. My friends knew the playbook inside and out and could diagram the other teams' plays right after the game, but few of them could read and many were actively hazed if they so much as showed in interest in books. They stories I could tell. I am bitter to this day about what happened later in life to some of my childhood friends. That is not IQ, its expectations.

Most of the Flynn Effect is due to nutrition and expectations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

Finally, its the schools. A well fed kid with parents who will support them can make it. But add in a good school with a solid teaching cadre and curriculum, and nothing will stop them.

But if nutrition sucks and parents don't care, then no school can make a difference for most.

I agree genetics comes into play. But its only clear that the Ashkenazim really stand out here among well fed and educated elite.

As for "opportunities" I am not so sure any more what that means. You cannot escape your boundary conditions and you cannot escape the fact that there are real costs to going down the wrong path.

Val's comments about working with kids of limited ability are reality and we have to accept that. In order to give them real opportunity in life, we have to educate them with realistic goals in mind.

As for the OP. The tigermom comment brings up the real concern. Living in DFW I see that little johnnie plays soccer four nights a week while Li and Krishan study. After ten years one is REALLY good and soccer and the other gets into Harvard. Again, its expectations.

TJ is a great school and for those who begin with the end goal in mind, TJ is just another step to take. If you start thinking about TJ in the 8th grade when others started thinking about it in the first grade, that is a lot of ground to make up. It probably won't happen. You just cannot walk onto the varsity squad at top HS and play starting quarterback having never played football at a high level.

Last edited by Austin; 06/01/12 03:29 PM.
    G
    G
    prenatal care, parent support, early childhood education interventions. preK, early structured reading instruction for all kids. and i agree with better nutrition and less toxins.

wouldnt it be great if all kids had a free Appropriate public education!

by the time the kids were in your program Val it was too late to do much accelerating into college without intense specific one on one attention to individual needs and major boot strapping. most kids arent up for it. if you wnet back and reassed your group after whatever interval its been, you might find that there has been a delayed effect. even it it wasnt 4 year college and STEM PHDs.

M
    M
    My son's school was the birth place of a "I have a dream" class 13 years ago. Those 60 kindergartners are graduating from high school tomorrow. Of the 60, 3 graduated early, 5 got GEDs and the remaining 52 are all walking tomorrow. Many of them are using their Dreamer money for technical certificates at the community college, but, we are in a city with a 70ish percent graduation rate for low income children of color, of which 85% of the Dreamers are.

Clearly, catching them early, providing them and their families with support and giving them hope that college is actually an attainable goal financially does wonders.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM