Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Haha, except I read "I might say that person's pants are on fire." as in "Liar, Liar, pants on fire!"

Yes, I think that's how 'Neato intended it. But I like imagining the job description:

Seeking: a dynamic, creative individual with a burning desire to get ahead, a warm spot in her heart for the unusual and the ability to get fired up for a job...

ROFL!!!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    If you all find me a person who is able to say: I found the path in life that is ALWAYS creative, dynamic, fun and totally meets my needs all the time and is NEVER, EVER, pure mindnumbing torture...........I might say that person's pants are on fire. smile

Rats. I really was hoping that fairy tales can come true.

Hey - me too! A girl's got to dream! smile

Of course every job has it's downfall. I guess it's a matter of having enough passion and interest to make the not so fun parts worth it.

Edited to say - I also meant to say, I really think for me a lot of my lack of tolerance for these aspects of my previous career has to do with years of under achievement. Parenting has helped a lot with that!

Last edited by kimck; 04/10/08 11:05 AM.
    Re: Kriston/OHGrandma - raising future adults. I have a concern that come from my parents' support of me. They always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be. I always thought this was very cool of them. But this caused problems when it turned out I was pretty good at everything, and I couldn't decide on what I really wanted to do for work. I still don't know. How do you prepare your kids for this possibility or avoid it?

What I've read is that most people do indeed do what they are 'best' at, but that for broadly Gifted children they have far too many choices. The trick is to do a career that agrees with their values. I loved reading this because looking back, that's what I did - I looked at the career in terms of how it serves other people and how I get satisfaction from serving.

I knew I'd need to interact one-to-one, in a fairly consentrated and hands-on way, and that I'd love interacting a large number of people. I knew that the job had to be one that supported me while being unambiguously helpful for the people I served. I looked at all the grown ups around me and analysed what they did in terms of my values. The only mistake I made was totally missing how satisfying parenting would be - that's the job that lights up all my 'delighted challenge' meter bulbs.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I guess this is what I'm searching for - people who figured it out. That is good advice (choosing a career that agrees with your values). So far, the only advice I was qualified to give my child was "don't do what I did." So thanks everyone for the useful nuggets.

I too have found that parenting is a delightful challenge, and I'm having a lot of fun. So for now, I'm happy. Poor, but happy!

Kimck - sent you a PM.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/11/08 06:08 AM.
    W
    W
    I read this recently:

The Prodigy Puzzle by Anne Hulbert

You can find it on:

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/gifted-ed/news.shtml

It talked about a group of Davidson fellows being honored. Most were in the sciences. There was one poetry person. It was interesting read, I thought.

Ren

Originally Posted by Wren
    I read this recently:

The Prodigy Puzzle by Anne Hulbert

You can find it on:

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/gifted-ed/news.shtml

It talked about a group of Davidson fellows being honored. Most were in the sciences. There was one poetry person. It was interesting read, I thought.

Ren

I read about a quarter of the way through that article and found this:
    Of course, it is every parent's hope to help satisfy highly gifted children's zeal for mastery and give them fulfilling childhoods, and programs like those the Davidson Institute runs help make that easier. But a look back over a century suggests it may be hubris if the goal of the guidance is to shape truly exceptional destinies in adulthood. Well-intentioned efforts to smooth the path and hone expertise in a hurry might even - who knows? - be a hindrance in the mysterious process by which mature originality ultimately expresses itself.

Sometimes I wonder about that, and try to leave enough bumps in the road for GS8 to learn to navigate himself. It can be a daunting task of knowing if a bump is just a bump he needs to jump himself and learn the feeling of accomplishment, or if it will turn into a roadblock leaving him feel defeated.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    The trick is to do a career that agrees with their values.

I knew I'd need to interact one-to-one, in a fairly consentrated and hands-on way, and that I'd love interacting a large number of people. I knew that the job had to be one that supported me while being unambiguously helpful for the people I served.

This kind of self-knowledge is the stuff that I think is really helpful. Well done, Grinity! It's what I was getting at about needing the career path to be practical for you. If you are someone who needs one-on-one contact, you shouldn't choose a job that requires you to work alone, nor should you choose one that puts you in front of huge groups. THIS is the kind of nuts-and-bolts self-knowledge that I think kids need to get before they choose a career.

It's also what I didn't do...

So the key, I think, is KNOW THYSELF!

Kriston
    K
    K
    I too have found that parenting is a delightful challenge, and I'm having a lot of fun. So for now, I'm happy. Poor, but happy!

Kimck - sent you a PM.

Me too! Parenting really is wonderful on so many levels. I'm just fine with being (relatively) poor, but happy. I still have this nasty latte habit I'm trying to break.

Got the PM!

Get a cappuchino maker, kimck! They're not that expensive anymore, and then you can afford your latte habit (and still pay for college eventually!).

wink

Kriston
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM