Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 155 of 268 1 2 153 154 155 156 157 267 268
    K
    K
    I'm very new to this forum, and I'm going to purge what I haven't been able to say to anyone! This has been an awesome ride, albeit a daunting one.

My kid is amazing! He's 6-years-old and has finished his first year of school- First grade. He taught himself to read at age 3, so reading wasn't an issue for school. He'd never seen any type of math anything, but by October had mastered the first grade curriculum having never attended kindergarten. By the end of the year, his teacher had him working third grade math sheets. He'll be starting his second year of school in September- Third grade. He'll be 6-years-old.

We started the testing process because he was having attention problems, and monopolizing all of his teacher's time with his compulsive talking in preschool. They recommended he be tested, as well as move on to first grade because of his reading ability. We had no idea that testing would reveal absolutely nothing...except the fact that we had a profoundly gifted son. Ummm...excuse me? I thought he was being tested because he was a spaz? ;-)

He's been accepted to CTY, and is attending SIG this summer. We're in the process of submitting to DYS now.

What a ride this past year has been!

F
    F
    I just wanted to say I love reading this thread and all the amazing, wonderful things the kids do! Congratulations to all.

M
    M
    I can think of lots to brag about but I will keep it short.

Both my kids are so loving and compassionate. My daughter has a special place in her heart for animals, and she puts that off in her energy because animals gravitate towards her and she just loves them all.

My son who is 4 still has a lot of "baby" left in him and I love it, he still calls me momma and always finds his way towards my lap. Both my kids have a heart of gold smile

N
    N

This is more a teacher brag than anything smile Ds9 (turned 9 last month) has been attending a gardening camp at his school -a couple of hours each morning. There is also summer school going on at his school, so he's been bumping into his (4th grade)math teacher quite a bit. They have been discussing ds9's soccer, and the teacher said he would try and get to see him play sometime. The other night at summer soccer, his teacher showed up and watched him play for an hour ! How cool is that ?? smile Of course, ds scored a bunch of goals and totally impressed his teacher LOL

U
    U
    Can I get a high-five from my fellow introverts? Both my kids are home and they are both in their respective rooms silently reading. SCORE! (This isn't unusual for DD8, of course...but DS4 has just recently started reading "in his head" and also hasn't had much stamina for reading till recently. Usually DD goes in her room to read and DS pesters her to play/interact till she relents, or he gives up and pesters me instead. I mean, not that he is a pest, usually.)

Always makes my day to read through the latest entries in this thread! laugh

What a terrific thing it is to have a place to share this stuff with others who can just feel happiness in our pride!! (Thank you, Davidson. smile )

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    High five to you, Ultramarina, from a fellow introvert with a 4-year-old who is all over me like a cheap suit!

I told you the other day my girl read "easy" on a sign and then said "ee-ee-ss-ss" acting  like she was doing the phonics on it.  Yesterday she pointed to an O & S and called them by name then blended the sounds correctly and said the "os" sound.  That wasn't the word.  The word was lots on the Big Lots shopping cart handle, but she blended the two letters that she named.  That's new.  
    Almost 2. Sings along with the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse song. Gets is mostly right.  Also sings with the big numbers song on YouTube and often knows what numbers coming next (sings ahead). 1-100. Is not potty trained but has pretended in a lot of different ways.  The latest is that she's potty training her doll, complete with grunts & "are you done yet"?  

She's taking full advantage of her brothers hand-me-down education.  She's learning so much before I get around to teaching her, but she has a lot of stuff in the house that Wyatt had to wait for, including an older sibling.  

Wyatt read a list of picture books long enough to almost fill a notebook page over the summer.  I wrote them down with dates because I was proud.  

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    Just "taught" my DD(4) to add and subtract 2 and 3 digit numbers (no carrying numbers yet). I showed her one simple math problem and she kept asking for more and more and more...and then said "let's review our work" lol

In addition, she is still in the process of figuring out / memorizing basic math facts and used the following process to figure out a what 3+ 4 equals..."I know 3+3 = 6, so 1 more must be 7" I think I may have shown her that once or twice...but it has been awhile and she just pulled it out of her memory to use it...
    Hard to think that she has 1 more year until kindergarten...

H
    H
    Virtual high five to ultramarina!

From one introvert to another smile

Page 155 of 268 1 2 153 154 155 156 157 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM