Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Wow, this just doesn't seem right. It's amazing what policies schools will strictly enfore and which ones they choose not to allow rule bending for...

I don't have any new advice to offer but I really hope this new arrangement will work out for you. It definetly sounds promising.

Last edited by crisc; 04/05/08 05:07 PM. Reason: added more

Crisc
    Mia Offline
    Wow.

Well, good on you for taking her out. Hopefully the new school will be a better fit for the rest of the year, and will give you a little time to decide if homeschool or the private school will be better for your dd.

I can't *believe* they tried to blame you for the situation! That's really something. Hopefully they won't try *that* again.

Mia
    OP Offline
    Just a quick update:

We are finishing with old school this week. Yesterday I spoke with the admissions coordinator at the new school and they will administer an IQ test since we have never had one for DD. Well, she had a group administered one which she scored 140 (with 141 ceiling) and gifted is 128 and above. I think they will use the WISC, any thoughts on that? I haven't brushed up on my IQ tests, so I am not sure how it would complement DD. She is highly verbal, has done well on cognitive test and is good with puzzles and mazes. She isn't that good or interested in doing math in her head and will often take a long time answering for those types of questions. DD will get the test on Monday. Any ideas how long the scoring will be? Thanks

Jen

Rumor has it that verbal kids tend to do well on the WISC and Visual-Spatial kids tend to do better on the SB-V. It seems like she'll do well, given what you've said about her, but that's just what "they" say. <shrug>

I think ours took only about 90 minutes or so. I know it was a LOT shorter than the SB-V, which took well over 3 hours. Of course, the better they do, the longer they tend to go...

Is the tester experienced in working with GT kids?

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Thanks Kriston and Dottie. This tester apparently does it for several private schools in the area and kids have to be gifted identified first to get to this level. I am glad this school wants to know more about DD and this tester is very well respected within the school district he is in and also among the private schools in this area.

If it's true that the WISC is good for verbal kids, it may compliment DDs abilities. I will keep you posted on the results.

Jen

Q
    Q
    I'm so glad you have such a great option for your DD, and that you're acting on it now, rather than waiting for the fall. Can't wait to hear how it works out. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM