Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 154 of 268 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 267 268
    Per Duke TIP: DD12 was in the 99th percentile of talent search kids in each of the 3 SAT sections: critical reading, math, and writing. Loooong test, for which she didn't do any preparation.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    "many seem to have voiced the same comment - that they can't share their children's accomplishments with anyone"

aw, that made me tear up!! Boy can I relate.

I'm reading through all these neat stories and my brain has seized up (lol) because I don't even know where to start... so, I'll start at the beginning:

DD9 had a cardiac ultrasound when she was 5 days old (her heart is fine :-) but during the ultrasound she tried twice to push the wand off her chest. The cardiologist was taken aback: "Wow! Did you see that? They normally can't do that at this age!" (meanwhile DH & I were too worried about her heart to care, lol). Now I think it's pretty cool though smile

Last edited by CCN; 06/25/12 10:29 AM.
    A
    A
    LOL CCN...

DD(4)held her pacifier in her mouth at the hospital and at one week old was batting at toys on her exercise mat. The pedi exclaimed that she was the most alert newborn he had ever seen...

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by alicat
    LOL CCN...

DD(4)held her pacifier in her mouth at the hospital and at one week old was batting at toys on her exercise mat. The pedi exclaimed that she was the most alert newborn he had ever seen...

smile smile That's awesome :-)

E
    E
    Early baby stuff...I'm on this forum for my DS5, though he was a preemie and slept A LOT as a NB (luckily perfectly healthy at 35 weeks!). But my DD2 blew us away as a NB...she could hold up her head right away, the nurses couldn't believe she was a 37 weeker. She was sooooo alert, it was almost creepy.

On another front, my DS5 is FINALLY having success with swimming lessons after sinking like a panicked-rock. He even taught himself to float on his back in our blow-up pool yesterday. He doesn't come by physical achievements easily (though he's doing well at summer soccer). I was worried my DD2 might swim before him. We'll see if he can ride a 2-wheeler before her. Fingers crossed.

Hear, here! Three cheers for herenows kid.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Thanks - La Texican.

I see that Bostonian's made SET at 8 yrs old! Geeze Louise! fantastic.

My daughter's smart.  She knows what she wants.  She has a quick temper.  She's beautiful and very charming.  Sometimes she gives me a genuine "thank you" for something as simple as changing her diaper or getting her dressed.  She's a daredevil.  She scares me when she goes on the big slide.  My brag today is FUNNY.  She sucked on a sweet tangy grapefruit for nearly a minute and a half.  Then she let out a whooping yell of refreshment.   It was the biggest "Woo" yell I've seen.  I was ready to take the pick because I was expecting the lemon pucker face.
    [Linked Image from i945.photobucket.com]

She randomly read the word "easy" on a sign.  She said "easy.  ee ee ss ss".  That was the sound of her doing the phonics after it.  My mother in law saw the baby correctly spell cat on the iPhone app. first try.  She has counted to 13 at the most.  She sings "twinkle, twinkle, little star.  
    Uh-uh-up .  Like a star.". 

Last edited by La Texican; 09/15/12 01:57 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    E
    E
    La Texican...love the pic! My kids have always sucked on lemons from our water at restaurants (probably to please Daddy). Your DD sounds amazing!

I had to make a brag today. I have several friends with boys 1-2 years older then my DS5. DS had had his fair share of getting the 'little brother's treatment. Yesterday, I overheard this conversation between the 7 year-old and my DS.

"You're still a little kid."
    DS: "No I'm not."
    "Do you know math?"
    DS: "Yes."

...and then DS was quizzed on a myriad of math equations. He answered
    them happily and not smugly...but got every one correct (go DS!).

"OK, you do know
    w math." And the little twerp walked away smile

Last edited by Evemomma; 06/29/12 07:14 AM.
    This is probably the only place that I can post this brag and have someone understand how important is is to DD.

DD9, with mild dyslexia, dysgraphia and ADHD, got an "A" in writing on her final report card. She worked her friggin' patootie off for it and I am so proud that I could bust. Previous to this year, she has only ever managed a "C". But, with fantastic teachers and appropriate accomodations she was able to show what she can do. The smile on her face was worth every $ we have spent on diagnoses and anxiety-therapy over the past three years. Not only is she writing to her potential... but the phrase 'gifted writer' was used!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 154 of 268 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM