Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    You haven't lived Summer until you can have those same discussions IRL!!!! It's hard to come back to earth though afterward

I would love to attend a gathering someday, but I find some solace in the fact that we have a large, active local group. This Saturday is our biannual Mom's Night Out. We gather at a hotel and stay up all night talking. There will probably be 10-20 moms in attendance. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend on Saturday because of other commitments but we are having one of our major group events later this month at one of the local universities so I will get some good PG parent time then.

A
    alee31 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you, all, for your responses!

I will definitely apply...after taxes are done, hehee.

I think, perhaps, the main benefit I can see at this point in our lives is addressing my feelings of isolation. And you all have given me some other great reasons, as well, to apply.

I appreciate your time and candid responses.

Thank you!!
    Allison

S
    S
    Has anyone applied using the portfolio method? My son's achievement scores are high but not his IQ scores (possibly due to a couple of low subtests, or possibly just low). I am considering applying anyway with a portfolio, but don't know where to begin. He hates writing, so that's not really a good option (some of you have heard all this in other threads). He's in 1st grade but it very high in math and high in reading. But, how do you show examples of his work in reading? Or math? Any ideas?

I think I've posted so much on this board in the last week that I'm becoming obsessed!! As many others have said, though, it is so nice to have a place to talk about these things and ask questions.

Originally Posted by gratified3
    As I understand it, the portfolio method is for applying when a kid has only one score -- either IQ or achievement -- and there are other reasons not to pursue the missing score, either financial difficulty, or age, or ??? I'm not sure I remember this fully, but I believe the application requests submissions of all scores obtained, which would make it hard to apply by portfolio while having IQ and AT scores. I suspect, and I know others may disagree, that the DYS considers their standards to be minimum so I doubt a portfolio and scores that don't qualify would work. There's nothing to be lost in trying, certainly, except that the application is long. (And if I'm wrong, someone please tell me -- cause I have a kid who has ceiling AT scores and a sooo close FSIQ that I'd love to get into DYS!)

Gratified is right. You are asked to submit all the scores and it's highly unlikely they would accept him if his IQ score was lower than what they require, especially since his scores are not close to the cut off. I may be wrong, but I think even if you get accepted by portfolio these days you are required to get the additional qualifying test scores within next 6 months.

You can try to apply, but I think his chances are slim. Lately there have been a few cases where the child did have both qualifying scores, but Davidson asked for additional information/portfolio.

LMom
    C
    C
    Also, Davidson isn't the only show in town. Squirt, there's EPGY stuff your son could do if he's into working on the computer, there's CTY, and so many other opportunities out there...Hoagies has a pile of things for supplementation. I'm sure the people on this board have a piecemeal approach to helping their kids. Keep encouraging him with the math, that's for sure!

Thanks for mentioning that calizephyr.

My DD8 has FSIQ on WiscIV of 148 and WIAT achievement was 99.6. She didn't have 99.9 on any of the subtests, which stinks because if she hadn't scored in the 70th percentile in spelling and listening comperension she would have been in the 99.9th for reading subtest.
    Unfortunately she was not accepted but I was told she could re-apply in 6 months if she had qualifying achivement tests.
    So our experience is the portfolio wasn't enough to have her be accepted even though the achivement scores were so close.
    As much as we would love to have the support, we've done really well with other available resources.
    This board has really filled the need I have as a parent of extremely gifted children for support.
    So, stick around Squirt!

Neato

Yes, these tests are quite confusing for me! smile

She scored 99th in every subtests except those two, so I'm guessing she would have had the 99.9 in Oral language as she scored 99.9 on another subtest in that category, had she not been in the 70's in listening comprehension.

Oh well smile

Thanks Dottie.

Neato

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students