Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #132036 06/16/12 09:33 PM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    My DS (who just finished third grade) has LOVED these books! He is finishing the fifth and final one. He has gotten alot out of them- I guess they are exciting and have alot of Greek mythology in them, which he has really enjoyed. He was telling me very specific details about it.
    What would he like next? Any suggestions? He loves reading series books. Another mythology-type would be great. He's sensitive so nothing too scary (he just moped for awhile because our neighbor told him to stop throwing the noodle at their grandchild in the pool, LOL).

They're not mythology-based, but your son might enjoy the Tripods series by John Christopher. They're not very scary. DS6 has in the last six months enjoyed some books by William Sleator which are not too scary either, more like suspenseful young adult science fiction; they don't tend to run in series, though. The Hitchhiker's Guide books are probably in his reading comfort level, and aren't scary. The Ringworld series, ditto-- more silly than scary. The Piers Anthony Xanth novels aren't scary in my opinion, and they have some mythological elements and references woven through them, but you might have to vet each one for adult scenarios if you tend to keep adult romance from him (nothing graphic in those, though).

IIRC Rick Riordan has some other series too (I just looked them up: "The Kane Chronicles", based on Egyptian mythology, and "The Heroes of Olympus", the first book of which DS brought home and read a while back).

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    N
    N
    Has he read the Artemis Fowl books? They are excellent, although not mythology-based -- they do have magic and fairies, but not in a girly way.

Another great set of books you might try is Michael Reisman's "Simon Bloom". They are science-as-magic with lots of adventures. I really enjoyed them!

P
    P
    I didn't read any of these, so I can't give you details, but fwiw, right after our ds read Percy Jackson he read the Warriors series (about a cat society) and then the Guardians of the Ga'hoole series (about owls). I don't know if they were scary or not, and ds isn't here right now so I can't ask him - but I do vaguely ds talking about an evil owl who pushed his own brother out of the nest (I think - my memory isn't all that great!). They may not be exactly what you're looking for, but ds *loved* them all, as well as the other Riordan series.

polarbear

F
    F
    My DD8 has also loved Rick Riordan and the Warriors series. Warriors has 4 series of 6 books and then 5 super editions so they will last you a while. The series has some intense inter-feline situations (parricide, fratricide, lots of battles). It's not described graphically but some serious conflict happens between the cats. (I would say Warriors is not any more scary than, say, a queen asking a huntsman to hunt her teenage stepdaughter down and cut our her heart. Or similar. But that"s a whole other thread!)

Also, the Eragon series. DD devoured the series and the movie is fun to watch after.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Great- thanks for the suggestions! I'm buying on Amazon.com (since Borders closed in our town) the first Artemis Fowl, the first Kane series, and one other by Rick Riordan.
    He really wants to read books in a series. When he was in first grade and early second grade, he insisted on reading all 46 Magic Treehouse books in order. He would not read the next one if we didn't have it. I bought them all online- I guess we will try to donate them to the library once our little one is done.
    My rising second grader is reading MTH- he doesn't seem to care the order and is reading them, I think, only b/c his brother did too.
    BTW, I'm reading out loud at night to the big one (the little one falls asleep too early) Joy Hakim's The History of Science. What a wonderful, 3-volume set! Beautiful pictures, short snippets of information. I got that suggestion on this chat site too.

Last edited by jack'smom; 06/17/12 05:53 AM.
    B
    B
    Agree with the other recommendations- my ds loved them all-My ds loves mythology- and always has a book in his hand-Roidan is one of his favorite authors- he just finished 3rd grade too. Fire thief is about Prometheus( there are a couple more)- not sure of the author. d'aularies book of Greek myths, Norse myths etc- are the real stories not just the characters woven into real life like Percy Jackson- so a really good follow up or companion. My son started with the mythology from the Mary Pope Osborne (MTH)version of the Odyssey (2 books)but it would be really easy reading if your ds has finished Percy Jackson- but it is based on the real Odyssey. My ds is actually going to read the Illiad and Aeneid this summer( or at least try).

In the Dragon arena which my son loves too- Eragon and the rest of that series is another good choice. Rangers Apprentice series- he devoured this year. Dragon Rider, Magyk. That's all I can think of for now!
    Brandy

Last edited by bgbarnes; 06/17/12 06:24 AM.
    H
    H
    The Emerald Atlas is a fairly new book that has magic and young protagonists. It is supposed to be the first in a series. DD9 loved it (just finished 3rd, too). I have read it and it's a good story without too much worry for the very sensitive.

Also, I have heard good things about The Mysterious Benedict Society, which is a series. Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke, too.

I love reading people's suggestions!

There is also the Merlin series by T.A. Barron. Also the Daniel X series by James Patterson. Did he already read the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket? That is a nice long series.

Yesterday, while doing some very late spring cleaning, the wife and I coincidentally found Fantasy Literature for Children and Young Adults: A Comprehensive Guide. Used copies are currently low as $0.99 US plus shipping at Amazon, and I'm sure you can find it elsewhere too.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations