Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by skyward
    A few months ago someone at the public school said we should have her screened. I asked about that possibility on friday and was told that we should wait until she is 3 years 9 months and we recieve a letter from the school district requesting screening.
    How old is DD now? Waiting doesn't seem like such a bad idea, with all the HS opportunities it sounds like fun! I doubt you'll get a letter from the school district though - LOL! I guess I would suggest writing a letter and mailing it (not email) to the school and requesting the screening in writing. You know that thing where each person tells a different story each time you ask? If you put it in writing then you might get a response in writing and that's more likely to be useful.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    skyward Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi,

Thanks for the response. The comments about being guarded are right on.

DD is 3y 5m. My original thought with preschool was that if I put her with kids who seemed closer to her age she would do ok, but after this preschool experiment I am not so sure.

The public school is not being very helpful, and I have concerns about the quality of the curiculum. I thought mabe if she went early she would not be so bored.

I did some research on other schools in the area and found a really good one about 10 min from our house. This is also a public school but they have open enrollment. This school seems very flexible and has alot of the programs I have come across while looking for information regarding what to do for DD. I would feel confident sending her there at her normal time when she would be 5 almost 6. I am going to contact them next week and ask some questions.

skyward Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Also,

DD is doing great at home this week for spring break. She seems so excited about everything. She has been having fun writing letters to her friends and grandma and seems excited to do anything new. When I asked her what her favorite part of the day was yesterday she said everything. I really like having her home and she seems much happier than we have seen her for a couple of months.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM