Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by zhian
    In terms of selection criteria, sending the message out on this forum is far from the only thing I've done, and each vehicle I've used to get responses has been chosen because I knew I would get respondents who fit the criteria for giftedness stated at the beginning of the survey. Anyone who does not fit those criteria should not be taking the survey. Of course I can’t be certain that people are not lying about fitting the criteria,
    And finally, g2mom is correct; this is a qualitative, preliminary survey, aimed primarily at identifying avenues in need of deeper research that I cannot begin to realize given that I am not currently teaching in a school or associated with an academic institution (I finished my MA in December and will start my PhD in August), and thus have no support for this research, financial or otherwise.

Suggestion: send this survey out to other forums, like mothering.com, but remove the giftedness requirement. Instead, insert a question asking if the respondent's child has been tested for admission to a TAG or other giftedness program. If so, was the child admitted? You could use the "No" respondents as a group of non-gifted students for comparing to the gifted ones.

W
    W
    What would be interesting to see is how IQs are affected by challenging course work, whether extracurricular or in gifted classes.

Have IQs at 5, when many people are testing and then again at 10, and what kinds of course work the child had, whether the parent had to accelerate the math at home or not.

And then again at 15. Where was the child? IQ, grade level, and do comparisons. I wish Davidson would do something like this since they admit so many kids young. They could request retesting at certain ages and then have some good material. But they don't.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Val
    Suggestion: send this survey out to other forums, like mothering.com, but remove the giftedness requirement. Instead, insert a question asking if the respondent's child has been tested for admission to a TAG or other giftedness program. If so, was the child admitted? You could use the "No" respondents as a group of non-gifted students for comparing to the gifted ones.
    I wouldn't agree with this b/c it depends on whether the OP's definition of "gifted" is the same as the schools'. In one state or district a child might be tested for TAG/GATE and not admitted and be of much higher ability than a child who is admitted in another state with much more liberal admission practices.

Where I live, for instance, they are of the opinion that high IQ or intelligence is not necessary to be gifted. I've been told that it is possible to have an IQ of 100 and still be gifted if you exhibit behavioral characteristics of giftedness and high achievement or high grades (you could get in with two of those three with smack dab 50th percentile ability scores if your parent was pushy enough or the GT coordinator was of that bend).

I've also been told that 99.9th percentile IQ scores don't necessarily mean gifted and had to fight for inclusion in GT for my 2e child with those IQ scores b/c her achievement and behavioral characteristics weren't consistently what they expected of a gifted student.

Unless you are going to do a study utilizing families who've had IQ testing done at some location where most of the testing is done for GT purposes, you probably are going to get some people answering who meet your definition of gifted and some who don't. Perhaps the only way to tighten the group responding is to put some definition at the beginning as to who you want responding or to ask some questions like, 'has your child had an IQ test or group ability test administered and what were the scores (subtests and composite)?"

eta: in looking at the survey entry page, I do see that there is a definition of gifted to include IQ of 125+, formal GT id in school, or exceptional ability in any one area. That is more liberally than I, personally, would define as gifted, but that is probably influenced by my experienced with over and underidentification locally to my area as enumerated above.

Last edited by Cricket2; 06/14/12 05:48 PM.
    Val Offline
    Cricket2: those are very good points! Thanks.

zhian Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The question of the "baseline" - asking about the educational setting to which extracurriculars are being compared - is one I hadn't considered and will have to consider as a complicating factor when doing the analysis. I appreciate having it pointed out and I think this is one of the few places where people would have caught it; certainly the peer review committee for the conference didn't mention it!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM