Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 151 of 268 1 2 149 150 151 152 153 267 268
    So cute, Cawdor! DS has been asking for music lessons again lately. I'm going to show him some of your son's videos to inspire him. We don't have money for lessons right now, but we do have some books bought a while back. He used to play around on the keyboard and come up with some interesting songs, but sadly that's fallen off.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    F
    F
    that is awesome Cawdor!

Hanni (4) has such a scientist's mind. Last night we were talking about how at her swim class we saw scuba tanks discharging, and she said, maybe the noise was from air going in, not out. I said, no, that couldn't be it, because we put our fingers up to the valve and felt the air coming out. (I didn't feel like getting into an explanation of compressed air.)

I felt bad for being the know-it-all grownup and squashing her thought process, but I needn't have worried. This morning when I thought she was still asleep, I heard her voice from the bedroom: "Mama, I just thought of another idea about why they were emptying the tanks. Maybe it was to get old bad air out and put in new fresh air."

It trips me out that she was still thinking about it the next morning.

Val Offline
    It sounds more like you stimulated her thought process! Bright and thoughtful little kids can be such a joy.

You can tell her that scuba tanks are generally considered "empty" with 500psi still in the tank, because you want to keep positive pressure to keep out impurities that you wouldn't want to inhale. But at least once a year they have to be emptied completely, for visual inspection. The insides have to be verified to be clean and free of corrosion.

Thanks, Dude!

Just had to share this one- DS6 just asked me "Mom, do you know why people have schools? It's because it's kind of awkward when grown ups don't know something that they're supposed to." I didn't bother to reply because I figure that this might be as good a reason as any. smile

Oh, and he also explained to me when he saw the full moon the other night that the earth was turning around so the sun was starting to face the other side of the Earth and that now the moon was reflecting the light from the sun. I asked him where he learned this and he looked thoughtful for a minute and said "I don't know. I think it just sounds right." He's such a sponge for knowledge that he just absorbs it all the time and later has no idea where the information even came from- it just IS.

vwmommy, your son might like http://www.explorelearning.com/ .

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    E
    E
    Vwmommy....you DS sounds sooooooooo much like my DS5(going on 6). He will usually say, "i just know" when I ask him where he learned something.

My brag is that I coped well the past two weeks DS5 was visiting grandparents 800 miles away. He haf an awesome time and brought home a journal he made from the trip. He was most excited to find an early bday present waiting for him when he got home: a world map floor puzzle. He gathered all the continent pieces together in a bunch and exclaimed, "Look! I made Pangea!"...which he thought was hilarious.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Evemomma
    He gathered all the continent pieces together in a bunch and exclaimed, "Look! I made Pangea!"...which he thought was hilarious.

And he was right about that!

Page 151 of 268 1 2 149 150 151 152 153 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM