Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    I think after achievement testing, assuming he scores well, we'll have more of a leg to stand on. We're also considering HSing.

OP Offline
    I'm just so non-confrontational...the thought of all that just makes me ill. 8-(

I'm glad it worked out well for you in the end!!! 8-)

My philosophy is that you either have to become one of "those" parents or you wind up with one of "those" kids, with behavior problems, depression, etc.

I hate advocacy, too, and that was a big factor in our decision to home school. I saw the fight we were in for, and given the teeny rewards we'd get for all our trouble, it just wasn't worth it to us. Our only option was really to push for a grade skip (or two!), and we just weren't sold on grade-skipping at the time. (I'm much more in favor of it now, though I think sports would become difficult for DS if we went that route. I'm not wild about that aspect of skipping even now.) Anything else would have required a HUGE fight for no real benefit.

Anyway, with kids like these, I really think you either advocate or go to a different educational provider, like a GT school (where you will probably still have to advocate somewhat) or home schooling. Those are really your only other options.

Kriston
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I'm not wild about that aspect of skipping even now.) Anything else would have required a HUGE fight for no real benefit.

Anyway, with kids like these, I really think you either advocate or go to a different educational provider, like a GT school (where you will probably still have to advocate somewhat) or home schooling. Those are really your only other options.

This is so-o-o true. Grade skipping doesn't really address the real need anyway, given that some kids would be, say, +2 in some subjects and +5 in others and maybe at grade level in some areas.

We need ability grouping. We live in a technological society and we need to allow the people who are able to move ahead to do so. A big chunk of any given age-level class could move at a faster pace (some faster than others). We're damaging our kids, their futures, and our future economy by assuming that they're just fine! Sorry to sound like a broken record.

My kids will start at an ability-grouped K-6 school next year. I'll report on how well it works. Then we'll probably transfer to an ability-grouped 6-12 school later.

Some people may accuse parents of accelerated kids of robbing them of childhood or some such rubbish. We've talked with our eldest (just turned 8) once or twice about finishing high school early and how he'll be able to explore the world for a couple years before going away to college. So, this means, a local community college, internships, part-time jobs, etc. Maybe he'll get involved in community theatre for all I know. We're just trying to keep them all stimulated.

Val

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM