Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 207 of 268 1 2 205 206 207 208 209 267 268
    L
    L
    doubtfulguest, are you kidding me? I can't believe a 5-year old can even do that! Awesome! I think you may be right about her math ability showing through the drawings. I say this because I consider DD4 to be quite creative and artistic. She has done the negative drawings that Nautigal mentions without ever learning it from anyplace. Kind of similar to how your dd self-taught perspective drawings. But my dd's drawings are not precise, like your dd's are. Your dd could grow up to be an amazing engineer!

D
    D
    ooh Nautigal - i haven't seen that book, but i'll put it on my list! negative space has always interested DD5... she would always fill in the entire floor or sky - i bet she would LOVE that book.

and Lovemydd - ha - i've wondered if architecture or engineering might be where she winds up in the end? she's in her room drawing a castle scene using the vanishing point, which i officially showed her this morning. it's really shaping up - and i think the straight lines are very satisfying for her. "mastery" is her big watchword these days, and the professional output of a straight edge really appeals, i think! smile

i'll post the castle as the inaugural Art Thread post when she's finished - she's been at it a while now, and she's about 1/4 done the sketch. whee - can't wait to see others, so Lovemydd, you'll be adding some from your bean, right?

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    Thanks MumofThree, doubtfulguest, lovemydd, and KADmom! He's really taking off. I swear if he so much as breathes within the vicinity of something, he learns it.

HK, that's outstanding work by your DD! Way to show what she knows without lowering herself to the trickery some of her contemporaries engage in!! Smart and principled...that's great preparation for the next chapter of her studies. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I know this isn't very impressive here, but I'm excited about it.

DS (first grade) had his MAP test for the first time last month and the results came back.

He scored a 198 in reading and 213 in math. We were very surprised his math came back higher than the reading.

Both scores place him in the 99th percentile for the nation for first graders.

D
    D
    dude, i think that's impressive ANYWHERE!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    That's great!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    That really is excellent, Ametrine.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    One of my sons (6.5, 1st grade) wrote a letter to his teachers last night asking to be given addition and subtraction problems with carrying and regrouping because he needs to practice. (As enrichment, they have been giving him worksheets that have multiple digit problems, but that do not require carrying or regrouping.) He asked me to sign it, but I told him that I thought it would be better if he was the one to sign it and give it to them. I am so proud of him for self-advocating, and I told him that. So last night he showed the note to DH, and said "I am starting to self-advocate to ask for harder work." LOL. I think his teachers are going to be shocked. smile

The teachers always think that WE are pushing HIM by asking for "harder" work, so this letter will hopefully make it clear to everyone that the request for harder work really is coming from HIM, not us. I just hope it works.

M
    M
    momoftwins- that is sooo great! I am so happy for him that he is able to ask himself! (I think I should share this with my ds6 who he afraid he would get in trouble.)

D
    D
    that is AWESOME, momoftwins! to recognize that he needs more challenging work and then take concrete action at 6.5 is a beautiful, beautiful thing. that ability will protect him from perfectionism and underachievement no matter what his environment looks like...

and i really, really hope the teachers see the light and stop thinking you're pushing him. that stress on you is just soooo unhelpful.

Page 207 of 268 1 2 205 206 207 208 209 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM