Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
    DebM #130469 05/26/12 05:39 AM
    Originally Posted by DebM
    I could be an excellent medical diagnotician or detective, except for dealing continually with sickness and crime. Yuck. That stuff is way too sad for me to be involved with on a daily basis.

Eventually you figure out that most criminals are stupid.

And that much sickness in the modern era (diabestiy) is caused by people not taking care of themselves.

Schaps #130476 05/26/12 07:21 AM
    Jon,

I am now in heart failure (at 50) and have to use oxygen. My angiogram was clear and I was an avid exerciser and nutritional freak. This is due to unknown causes, but most likely a virus.

I know that people think that I smoked and did not take care of myself - that is not always the case.

Ellipses #130477 05/26/12 07:35 AM
    Originally Posted by Ellipses
    Jon,

I am now in heart failure (at 50) and have to use oxygen. My angiogram was clear and I was an avid exerciser and nutritional freak. This is due to unknown causes, but most likely a virus.

I know that people think that I smoked and did not take care of myself - that is not always the case.

I'm not speaking to specific cases, just the general trend in what is going on in the wider culture.

I just dealt with a woman who was about 40 who ended up in heart failure and is on oxygen due to no fault of her own.

And the trend is toward worse health due to personal action and inaction.

Generally, the more intelligent you are, the more you avoid the problems that lead to the reversible diseases of modernity.

I'm still trying to figure out how exactly people get to 400-500 pounds. I see plenty of them.

Last edited by JonLaw; 05/26/12 07:36 AM. Reason: I are wanted to editing post.
    JonLaw #130478 05/26/12 07:42 AM
    J
    J
    I would say that obesity is the most important medical problem I see in my Cardiology Clinic. I see so many obese kids at my children's school also. It is really frightening. I guess- easy access to food, lack of physical activity, etc.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by La Texican

2). Many interests that I've had on and off throughout my life are still there and they're still growing and evolving on a path of their own.  Especially ideas I've been developing over my lifetime.  Instead of incessantly building my knowledge bank and sorting them like I have for all my life I just find little trinkets of ideas that I like and throw them into their satchel with their project group.  I'd elaborate but it's just the stuff of thoughts and ideas.  No, that makes it sound weirder than it is.  I mean interests like folk medicine and stuff.  And I've always collected and traded arts and crafts techniques.  Recently I got a little time using an airbrush.  No, I have nothing to show and did nothing spectacular but it's that I doodled as a kid and then got into colored pencils later and now that interest seems to be sticking around and continuing to evolve.

Is ^ a gifted thing? I have so many projects / hobbies / interests floating around in my pouch. I've had many of them for years now and they stick around. I return to them randomly and find that I know much more than I did before, or feel like I'm ready to dive into them again. And all of the things I've learned about in the pouch influence how I understand new things I come across.

And as far as constantly learning new things. It is like everything is connected and I've got a vast web of information in my mind where I can plug in the new tidbits that I'm learning every day. ("Oh!!! This is just like THAT thing...that is a different way of looking at it." etc. And a new connection lights up.) Anyone else experience that?

Originally Posted by islandofapples
    I mainly feel sad that my schooling basically made me into an underachiever.

It could have been worse.

Due to my underachievement, lack of motivation, and lack of study skills, I ended up in law school.

JonLaw #130512 05/26/12 06:28 PM
    Somebody wrote "growing old gifted" but I don't remember why I first read it so I can't recall who wrote it.  I found it again by googling "gifted + old age".  It mused on about how gifted elderly people can observe the end of life without letting their ego distort their reality.  It seems the writer is saying she still has no one to "let loose" with at age 87 since elderly are age-segregated and fellow elderly are trying to tune out reality.  
    http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/PDF_files/argrowold.pdf
    Now I think, will I have inherited Alzheimer's from my family and still live "with my eyes wide open" in my last years?  I worry about the strangest things, so they say.  I'm not worrying about it, I just thought about it a little.  Glad I didn't say that one out loud.  "Hey, who is that actors name who plays that girl in that one movie?". Yeah, I should say something like that.

Originally Posted by 87 yr old & gifted
    There’s no definition of where I am in life now. It’s beyond old—and I can’t write about it because I can’t define it. I’m saying goodbye to the last stage that’s definable. I have never felt this way before. I’m also feeling that there isn’t anybody who can identify with this. The other old people I know are either senile or too firmly rooted in the concrete! I’m living in a twilight world. There is a lack of definition. In younger years, you can get through these times by considering your future, but in old age, there is no more future to imagine. How can you live without the future? 

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Somebody wrote "growing old gifted" but I don't remember why I first read it so I can't recall who wrote it.  I found it again by googling "gifted + old age".  It mused on about how gifted elderly people can observe the end of life without letting their ego distort their reality.  It seems the writer is saying she still has no one to "let loose" with at age 87 since elderly are age-segregated and fellow elderly are trying to tune out reality.  
    Now I think, will I have inherited Alzheimer's from my family and still live "with my eyes wide open" in my last years?  I worry about the strangest things, so they say.  I'm not worrying about it, I just thought about it a little.  Glad I didn't say that one out loud.  "Hey, who is that actors name who plays that girl in that one movie?". Yeah, I should say something like that.

Originally Posted by 87 yr old & gifted
    There’s no definition of where I am in life now. It’s beyond old—and I can’t write about it because I can’t define it. I’m saying goodbye to the last stage that’s definable. I have never felt this way before. I’m also feeling that there isn’t anybody who can identify with this. The other old people I know are either senile or too firmly rooted in the concrete! I’m living in a twilight world. There is a lack of definition. In younger years, you can get through these times by considering your future, but in old age, there is no more future to imagine. How can you live without the future? 

Actually, this is the one situation where practicing law comes in *very* handy.

I recall one 80+ year old gentleman who was always wandering the corridors of the law library of the law firm where I worked. He still practiced law part-time. He was entertaining.

Anyhow, Oliver Wendell Holmes was on the Supreme Court until he was 90.

Also, you can be a professor when you are 100+. I knew one guy who was still working then. He finally retired at 103 because his eyesight was just too bad. Granted, he was doing it for fun, but still. I sometimes hung out with him at social events.

You can be 87 and still have 15 years of your career ahead of you.

I
    I

That made me cry. Depressing.
    Annemarie Roeper wrote it and she died this month, at 93.
    http://www.care2.com/causes/education-pioneer-annemarie-roeper-passes-away.html

Schaps #130572 05/27/12 04:27 PM
    This prose really gets to me. As I mentioned, I am having severe health problems and am going through much of this in my 50s. It is so well written and so true. I am trying to find myself (my new self) and it is tough as a Gifted Adult.

I really cannot do so many things I used to do - and am losing so many of my abilities. I have to see it for what it is and that is how I am going about it. Some people say I am negative, but I am just accepting some facts. I loved hearing it from her. It makes me feel a little better about it.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM