Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #129692 05/15/12 09:13 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Does DYS compile the information from the DYS members and do anything with it?

I think it would be really interesting to know how many kids skip a grade, how many are able to make school work, how many homeschool, etc.

I'd guess there would need to be some sort of permission on their yearly data collection efforts, but it seems to me the information would be worthwhile to the community.

Does it already exist? Anyone else think it would be worthwhile to have this info?

master of none #129697 05/15/12 10:38 AM
    D
    D
    Hear, hear! I think it would also be worthwhile to have a compilation of the most frequent comments on all of the above school options from the families. Maybe if somebody was really ambitious it could be mapped by state along with the wonderful US map on the Davidson site (although that might not be worthwhile, because school districts and personnel vary so much even in states with good gifted ed policies).

master of none #129700 05/15/12 10:52 AM
    As far as I know, DYS doesn't compile data, but they do have a section where they posts 'stories' of individual kid's paths.
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...oung_Scholars___Success_Stories_422.aspx

hope that helps
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    master of none #129705 05/15/12 11:29 AM
    W
    W
    I think there would be a great deal to be gained and have questioned a few times why DYS doesn't collect more data.

Thanks for the link Grinity. What I found interesting is how many students got financial aid for music lessons and things. I remember someone on the board was looking for a way to underwrite a study trip to an aquarium on the west coast. Perhaps Davidson is a good place to look for financing.

Ren

master of none #129711 05/15/12 12:41 PM
    D
    D
    I agree, MON, and wanted to add an example of the kind of data that might be useful, based on my brief experience with these message boards: it seems for kids who want/need a grade skip, it can be hard to get, and rarely do they seem to get more than one. Moreover, even if a kid does get skipped, it seems that often that is not really enough to satisfy the kid's ability in at least one area (I've seen a number of stories about math being a particular problem). I think it would really help parents to advocate for individualized/DIY programs in subject areas if this was a real and documented phenomenon, rather than a collection of stories from anonymous posters. (Actually, perhaps there is a study out there on this--that would be good too.)

Dbat #129712 05/15/12 12:53 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dbat
    Moreover, even if a kid does get skipped, it seems that often that is not really enough to satisfy the kid's ability in at least one area (I've seen a number of stories about math being a particular problem).
    A little OT, but I have to chime in as the parent of a grade skipped HG+ kid for whom this has been a big issue in language arts in particular. It is virtually impossible to get subject acceleration in English/literacy/LA and dd has probably been ready for college level work in that area for years. I can honestly say that she's had maybe two, or if I'm being kind, three years of her entire schooling experience in which she's been taught anything at all in her LA classes.

My youngest's school does offer up to two years of subject acceleration in math, but not in any other subjects. That's been pretty much what we've found in most school and my kids have tried a few different ones. I can easily imagine that, for a child who is as strong in math as my dd is in LA, that wouldn't be enough either, though.

master of none #129714 05/15/12 01:01 PM
    Originally Posted by master of none
    And I'm here at the end of a year of successful homeschooling about to send my child back to public school that has not worked in the past, and I'd like to know just how ridiculous an idea that is. Data would help me tremendously.

3 ideas -
    1) set up a 'Survey Monkey' survey to survey that parents here.
    2) (sry, I've forgotten if you are in the YSP group) If you are 'in' ask your family consultant to put you in touch with other Davidson parents who have done this path so you can ask them directly what their experiences were.
    3) Set up a topic, here or on PGParenting, asking for BTDT families to say what it has been like.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

master of none #129747 05/15/12 07:24 PM
    I don't know how I feel about if the data should be collected. I'm assuming that there isn't data and trying to brainstorm alternative ways to get you some usefull information. I know that when ds15 transfered from private to public school between 7th and 8th as a gradeskipped kid we worried a lot. It seemed impossible that a kid could join a middleschool in 8th grade and be happy socially but he did actually have a good year academicallly and a great year socially.
    Hth
    Grinitu

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM