Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #129561 05/12/12 07:24 AM
    9girl Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Good morning! I am new to the boards. my DS is 12 and went to private school through 4th grade until werealized they would not accomodate his giftedness. We then transfered him to public school but he was bullied for being a private school kid that didn't curse etc. We knew public middle school would be a nightmare so we put him in Charter. What a mistake! After almost completing his second year there, he has been bullied by a teacher (which they will not address), they will not complete the IEP I requested in December and in fact lost most of the pages of the private psychosocial I got done to expedite the process. They repeatedly violate IDEA and 504 and the public school system will not get involved because it's a charter school. I was told to find an attorney but I am also told there is no such thing as an "education attorney". I own my own business and DS is very social. I do not think homeschooling would be good for him. I found one option. A private school in the area that specializes in gifted children.. 20K a year!!!! shocked Advice??? Please??

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    1) The private school may have scholarship funds.
    2) The middleschool may not as bad as anticipated
    3) Homeschooling may be more socially enriching than you think.

Look for outside scholarship sources.
    Keep trying new school situations until you find one that works sort of. Your goal isn't to find the best but to find the 'least bad' option.

Best wishes
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    BTW. Their certainly are attornies who are skilled at education law. Just be crystal clear what your goals are. You can have all the IEPs in place and still get a teacher who won't read them. Can you keep your child away from that particular teacher next year?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    You may want to check out this website for the Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates. It is a non-profit that specializes in special ed rights and advocacy. They may have some references for attorneys in your area.
    http://www.copaa.org/

C
    C
    What about homeschooling middle school and then enrolling him in FAU's dual enrollment HS? I have a friend with a HG-PG child who is doing that program next year. I'll let you know what they think after they've had some time in the program, if you want.

http://www.fauhigh.fau.edu/

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM