Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I just finished reading 'Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking' by Susan Cain. In it, she mentions the 'highly sensitive person', a term introduced by Elaine Aron. Aron has written a few books on the topic and has a PhD in psychology. I've been reading more about this type of person as I believe that many of my family members meet this profile (including my son, and possibly me). I've come across a few links that you might find helpful.
    First, a self-test: http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm
    Second, an article re. highly sensitive people and giftedness: http://www.hsperson.com/pages/3Nov04.htm
    Third, a test for kids: http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test_child.htm

Although I haven't read it yet, I suspect that her book provides coping strategies for people who are highly sensitive. In Cain's book, she talks about finding restorative niches to hide out from the world as needed. Both authors discuss this trait as biologically defined, in that some people react more strongly (and physically) to external stimuli, such as noises, smells, sights, etc. However, the environment you live in can shape how you cope (particularly in terms of anxiety, depression, etc.).

D
    D
    I feel for you. It is so hard for me to understand that something that can affect me so deeply doesn't seem to move very many (any? sometimes) others. The summer of the green movement in Iran was difficult for me--I just couldn't understand how people could be unaware of what was happening. (this was also due to geography and demographics where we were living--made it even more unlikely to find a kindred spirit.) No advice, but you aren't alone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM