Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi! I have posted here off and on about my forth grader and her being under callenged. We have come upon an opportunity to send her to a good private that goes from 6-12. Even though she is going to fifth grade next year, we think it would be good for her to start sooner than later.
    A little background. She is identified as gifted at her small school. She has no gifted classes or pull-outs and what they say is differentiation is way too easy for her. She was an early bloomer. Sat on her own at four months and was crawling on all fours just before five months. She knew and identified all numbers and letters by 18 months and could draw happy faces with hair and dangly legs before she was two.

We had her take the WJIII and she scored an overall 99.6 percentile.

So, my question.
    She took the OLSAT this year to test into gifted. She did test as gifted but I called the principal who hand scored the tests for the results an all he could give me was the she was at 93 percent (can't find the percent symbol on my phone!)

So this school we are going to try to get her uses the OLSAT for their admit test!

Is the OLSAT a test that can only be given one a year? Her score of 93 seems so low to me and she did not finish. Would they expect a 99 from a child planning to skip fifth?

Any thoughts on this or the skip or private Day schools with uniforms and Latin in general gifted kids.

My dd is very popular at her current school and finds she spends a lot of her day patronizing others and not having much time to form friendships with people that would feed her soul. She is very thrilled about us looking into a skip and another school for her. Any thoughts at all? Especially on that test.
    Thank you so much!

Last edited by sydness; 05/10/12 01:15 AM.
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Well the website does not offer how well she needs to do on the OLSAT. I'm sure if she were to retake it, she would do better since the one she took in October was during class, and she was told it didn't matter. I just wonder if any school would ever use testing from another school to admit. She also has to write an essay, get letters from her current math and English teacher. She has to give a sample of writing from her current school graded. They require a parent essay as well. We have spoken with the headmaster and he was the one who sugested we apply her now. He was very open about grade skipping and said that because the are a hoghschool, they are able to advance kids very fast. He seemed genuinely interested in dd 10's ballet accomplishments. The curriculum, although not algebra in sixth grade, connects throughout the subjects. So parts of a whole is constant throughout. I also am not AS concerned about the accademics being way advaned as she would be skipping a whole grade!
    I haven't found one single public or private school of the many I have looked at who would skip a child and makes it a policy to do so if needed. So I am pretty stoked.
    Buy Now the doubt. Can she do it? I believe that socially she will finally be happy. But she has learned so many bad habbits being under challenged that I am doubting her abilities.

Although! She heard a sonh she really liked at a talent show on Friday, downloaded it on Sunday, made up some music to it on monday and on Tuesday, after school, homework, ballet an a softball game asked grandpa to show her some chords and she now can play and sing that whole darn song! She sounds amazing and her timing and rhythm are crazy good. She has never taken voice, but did take piano for a year when she was six. When I see her do things like this, I know she belongs somewhere else!

Last edited by sydness; 05/10/12 06:30 AM.
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I need to hear she can do it. Thank you. smile. I will need to hear it again too! I am guessing that if they accept her as a 6th grader, maybe that will convince me she can do it. The accept 60 percent of applicants. Sigh. And we are way late to apply.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM