Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    Jtjt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    DS is 6. We skipped first grade, and moved him to second. He has done very well socially. He goes to a very small private school. His lowest grade this year has been a 97. Last night, he told us he wants to go to 4th grade next year. I don't even know if the school would consider this. They were very receptive last year to the acceleration, however. Is this something we should consider? Academically, his penmanship is still age level. He never studies. He is PG. Homeschooling his is not an option, as he has no interest in this.

JT
    DS6, DS5, DD3
    W
    W
    Can they differentiate and keep him in the same grade? Will they let him type instead of write? Do you think he could socially handle being 9 and in middle school around 11-12 year olds (6th grade)?

Wolf is homeschooled through an independent study program and his penmanship is age level, but he's had one grade skip and is working 2-6 grade levels above his age everywhere but handwriting. If it were him, I'd say skip him, but then he is very socially adept and extremely resilient. Only you know if your son will be able to manage it.

J
    Jtjt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    They cannot/will not differentiate enough for him. His typing is also at age level. Socially, neither I nor he have any concerns at this time. He does have alot of friends in the next grade up, as it is such a small school and most of the kids know eachother.

I just worry about him in the future I guess.

JT
    DS6, DS5, DD3
    W
    W
    Join the club, I'm expecting college classes WAY before he's ready for college...

If he has the friends and the academics aren't an issue, I'd be willing to try it with Wolf. That's me and Wolf though. We've already thrown out any possibility of "normal" and "school" in the same sentence.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Jtjt
    They cannot/will not differentiate enough for him. His typing is also at age level. Socially, neither I nor he have any concerns at this time. He does have alot of friends in the next grade up, as it is such a small school and most of the kids know eachother.

I just worry about him in the future I guess.

Honestly since he is PG, another full grade skip still won't be enough. I hate to say it, but it's true. My DS7 skipped K and is now in 3rd. They allow him to go to 5th grade for math and do 5th grade ELA (and afterschool science enrichment with 4th grade). Even with that his average in those subjects is about a 97% Still not challenging, but enough to keep him interested and learning some new things. He still does enjoy school (and all the social aspects like lunch, phys. ed, recess, etc.). I would see if they can let him go to classes a grade above (or more than a grade above) just for certain subjects and see how that works out. It doesn't take much work at all..just work in the sense that two teachers need to have a subject at the same time. We didn't consider another grade skip just because he is already subject accelerated past another grade so it just doesn't make sense. Anyhow, it may not be the best, but it's a solution that works for us and may work for your DS. And I totally hear you on worrying about the future. Very overwhelming so I try and take one day at a time smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM