Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 146 of 268 1 2 144 145 146 147 148 267 268
    Originally Posted by sunday_driver
    Tonight my daughter (about 32 months old now) was scribbling on a notepad. I was prepping some dinner for the kids nearby. Conversation ensued something like this:

"Mommy, don't break my papers. Be careful with them."
    "Ok, I will be careful, but I don't think they will break, since they are papers."
    ..works a few minutes more..
    "These are my notes!"
    "What are your notes for?"
    with much gusto "My presentation!"
    Laughing, I said, "Your presentation? What is your presentation on?"
    She did not have an immediate answer but we decided it would be on how to be a good big sister.

I'm in grad school and recently had to put together a project and presentation. I never discussed it with her that I recall, though I may have told her not to touch the printed stack of articles I had or something similar. ?

LOL. It reminds me of the phase my DD (4 at the time) had where she kept presenting DW and I with scribbled sheets of paper and declaring, "This is a contract. You HAVE to sign this contract!" We never did sign, because we suspected it was unreadable on purpose, and there was always a lot of white space for things to be added later.

L
    L
    mountainmom2011's post reminded me of this one time when my 2yr5mo daughter and I were at the Library info desk and I was asking the librarian to look up a book on her computer which she said she could not find. My daughter interrupted and said," If you cannot find it, let us go look for it." LOL.
    Another funny event I was reminded of after reading Dude's post was when I was getting ready to go overnight for a conference and my daughter pleaded with me not to leave her and go. I said," But I am presenting". She said," Mom, I will give you presents." I said," But I am going to be on TV." She said," Oh, come on, mom! Be on TV at home." LOL. She was 2 yr 7 mo when this happened. She cracks me up for sure.

S
    S
    DS2.5 had his play tools out and was banging on some boards. I came to see what he was doing and he told me with a serious little face, "I'm working, Mama, I can't play with you. Go play by yourself."

T
    Tim Offline
    T
    I overheard a conversation my 5 year old son was having with another kid while waiting in line to get into preschool class. They were arguing about how many seconds it would take to do something (I forget what). The other kid says it will take 4 minutes. My son replies immediately, "No way, that would be 240 seconds!"

My brother who's a 6th grade math teacher came to visit this weekend and likes to quiz him. He asked him what -12 + 9 is and he answered correctly. I had no idea he even knew about negative numbers. He then went on to teach him exponents.

W
    W
    Originally Posted by Tim
    I overheard a conversation my 5 year old son was having with another kid while waiting in line to get into preschool class. They were arguing about how many seconds it would take to do something (I forget what). The other kid says it will take 4 minutes. My son replies immediately, "No way, that would be 240 seconds!"

My brother who's a 6th grade math teacher came to visit this weekend and likes to quiz him. He asked him what -12 + 9 is and he answered correctly. I had no idea he even knew about negative numbers. He then went on to teach him exponents.

Your brother is amazing! Wolf was doing negative math on his own at 3 or 4. Amazing what they figure out isn't it?

S
    S
    My dd10 heard a song at a talent show that she liked on Friday called "The Show" by Lenka. She bought an iTunes card on Sunday, found wifi to download the song on her iPod and learned all the words. On Monday, after homework and school and ballet, she taught herself some of the piano. On Tuesday, she asked grandpa to come over after school, homework, ballet class, and a softball game to show her the piano parts she didn't get. She watched him figure out the song and on Wednesday she could play and song together with all the chord changes in perfect rhythm and time and she sounds great! She has never taken voice and only took piano for a year when she was six. But iT was mostly just reading music.
    I am so proud of her skill, but mostly I am proud she has found something she could follow through on! Yay music! Funny. She was the one who asked to quit the piano lessons!

Last edited by sydness; 05/10/12 06:45 AM.
    DS3 demanded to know why people can drown in water when it has oxygen in it. I explained lungs and gills a bit, but it was hairy, I don't really "get" this stuff yet chem still escapes me, generally. Fast forward to breakfast time. Long conversation about why you can't/shouldn't put out a gas stove fire with water, Canada's eternal flame comes into it, then that weird gas vent with the river on top. Finally, the child appears satisfied... Now immagine a breathless mama thankful for a break in the questions. Wait for it...

DS: "Mama, how do[es] water put out fire if it has oxygen in it?"

Mama: crash. and. burn.

I never even thought about that.

So, I guess I'm bragging that my three year old broke me before breakfast hit the table wink

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    That's hilarious, Michaela!

(So why can't you put out a gas fire with water?)

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    DS3 demanded to know why people can drown in water when it has oxygen in it. I explained lungs and gills a bit, but it was hairy, I don't really "get" this stuff yet chem still escapes me, generally. [...]

DS: "Mama, how do[es] water put out fire if it has oxygen in it?"

Mama: crash. and. burn.

I never even thought about that.

So, I guess I'm bragging that my three year old broke me before breakfast hit the table wink
    Lol, donchajustlove conversations like that that go into areas you're not comfortable with? Our last one was about the European debt crisis and what money really is... I know I read a book once about M0 and M1 and so on, but I definitely wasn't comfortable trying to explain it to DS and he wasn't letting go!

I can answer yours, though, in case you haven't looked it up since! Fish etc. breathing through gills is nothing to do with the oxygen that's chemically in the water as H2O - that stays right where it is. The fish are breathing the gaseous oxygen (from the air and from plants) that is dissolved in the water, which is an unrelated thing. This is why fish die if something happens that means the water no longer carries the usual amount of dissolved oxygen, e.g., it's why if you keep fish you need to either have water plants in the tank with them or aerate the water. Similarly, water doesn't dissociate into hydrogen and oxygen because of heat alone, so it doesn't do so when you use it to put out a fire. I bet your DS would enjoy seeing an electrolysis experiment some time soon, though...

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    A
    A
    That's a great story! Your kid is really thinking hard.

The reason that water puts out many (not all) fires is that it cools the fuel below the temperature needed to maintain the combustion reaction, and most common fuels do not have an exothermic chemical reaction with the water. While there is a small amount of molecular oxygen dissolved in most water, the bulk of the oxygen is already "burned", chemically combined with hydrogen. The fuel would have to be able to break the chemical bond between the hydrogen and the oxygen in order to re-use the chemically-bound oxygen in water for combustion.

Not all chemical reactions that generate heat and light (the sorts of things we like to think of as "fires") require oxygen. Magnesium is a great example of a fuel source that can burn under a multitude of circumstances (under water, in a pure nitrogen atmosphere, etc.), which would extinguish most other fires.

Page 146 of 268 1 2 144 145 146 147 148 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM