Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 153 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 145 of 263 < 1 2 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #128855 - 05/03/12 09:12 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    JamD Offline

Love these stories!!

DS11 topped out the Explore test the last 2 years, so now in 6th he registered for the ACT. Much longer, I totally left it up to him whether to try it. He said yes. Day of, he was the ONLY 6th grader we could see in a sea of about 400 HS seniors. At the front of the huge line, they tell him what room - I ask if I can walk down with him and they say no. He looks at me, shrugs nonchalantly, and positively swaggers off down the hall, casually asking the nearest adult if he was heading in the right direction. Who is that grown-up kid?!? Then when I picked him up, he had a huge grin on his face - he said "that was SO hard. I don't know why I can't stop grinning!" :-)

#128915 - 05/03/12 02:43 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: JamD]
    ColinsMum Offline

Loc: Scotland
    Originally Posted By: JamD
    "that was SO hard. I don't know why I can't stop grinning!" :-)

What a fantastic response!

#128920 - 05/03/12 02:58 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Speechie Offline

smile just a funny-
    4 yo Nick's favorite show is the local High School Quiz show. smile He sits and tries to call out answers...he usually only gets the music ones right, but sooo funny wink

#128940 - 05/03/12 08:05 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Speechie]
    Michaela Offline

Loc: The bottom of my cup
    DS2 (5 mos) learned to pull up today. Yesterday I'd have said he had no interest. He also said "mama" really clearly a bunch of times today in what seemed to be a meaningful way (A near stranger and a babysitter picked it out before I did). We shall see if any of it sticks, but quite the day when it was happening.

This is all particularly funny to me because his older brother pulled up at 2 mos (cruising as his main locomotion from 4mos on), and didn't say anything resembling "mama" until he was almost 2. "Elevator" "backhoe loader," and "usually" took serious precedence (grumble).

DS1 (3y) also gets a brag: He was counting a lot today, but always looping from 11 to 8 (11 rhymes with 7, eh?), so I counted out to 20 making little tic marks in groups(we were colouring at the time). And I'm not sure exactly how we ended up there, but he was asking me to show him additions and multiplications on little arrays of circles. Just like me, gotta learn to multiply before you can learn to count! Counting don't make no sence w'out it. Lil Suck. wink Oh! DS2 got two brags, so DS1 gets two, too... After reading a book on evolution DS1 and I planted potatoes, and between those and a comment I made about avocados, he dragged me into a pretty fine-grained explanation of the process of domestication. I was about to say "what 3 yr old knows about ratchets on wheat," but then I thought of one who probably does. Oh well. Still wink

I love my kids. They're gonna make me so proud screwing with people's minds wink

#129032 - 05/04/12 08:27 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ColinsMum]
    La Texican Offline

Loc: South Texas
    Originally Posted By: ColinsMum
    DS8, doing an ALEKS topic on equations involving logarithms, gets a "Your answer is incorrect", which it is, because his calculation has given him a spurious solution (one that would have made the original equation involve the logarithm of a negative number), and he has entered it without noticing.

Me, perhaps slightly patronisingly: Remember, you can't take the logarithm of a negative number.

DS8, more patronisingly: Well, you can in fact, it's just that the answer is complex.

He has met Euler's identity, but we're confident that nobody, and no book, has ever talked to him about anything closer to this statement than that.

How's that for a wibble-brag?!

Off to google what your kid actually did.  I had just used reading context clues to assume he made a math problem that needed negative numbers which mixed up two lessons in a way they hadn't taught yet.  

Ah, the base of an exponent.  
    Your kids got a great number sense!

Mr google tells me that's part of number theory which AOPS says is appropriate for 6-9th grade if they've already finished Algebra 1.  Um.. Not a  bad "stumble upon" for an eight year old to deduce.

#129054 - 05/05/12 04:59 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Kids-A-Riot.com
    Unregistered

My 5 1/2 year old started creating addition problems for himself; 4 digits up three levels deep.
    for example:
    1563+
    1225+
    7171=
    He also started writing in cursive. Go figure....

#129102 - 05/06/12 05:15 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Wyldkat Offline

This is a bit of a backwards brag, but this is the only place anyone will even understand why I consider it a brag.

Wolf's FINALLY hit a level he has to actually work at in Language Arts. His percentage on EPGY is finally dropping near 95% and one area is down to 75%. Darned esoteric parts of speech! I'm doing the happy dance while he is grumbling about having to look up a definition for the fourth time. Hooray for learning how to deal with frustration with schoolwork BEFORE college!

#129114 - 05/06/12 08:10 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Wyldkat]
    aculady Offline

Awesome, Wyldkat! Yippee for learning how to work hard!

Edited by aculady (05/06/12 08:42 PM)
    Edit Reason: spelling

#129118 - 05/06/12 09:44 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    mountainmom2011 Offline

While at the library my 6 year old dd used the computer all by herself to look up the books she wanted. And then when they didn't have what she wanted she went and asked the librarian to put them on hold for her. She has always been very shy but is finally starting to come out of her shell more. Then she went through a whole list of authors that are her favorites to put books on hold. I can never remember people's names so it amazed me how she was able to just rattle off the names just like that. She was so grown up and independent... I was proud, yet mournful at the same time.

#129123 - 05/07/12 04:33 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Wyldkat]
    ColinsMum Offline

Loc: Scotland
    Originally Posted By: Wyldkat
    His percentage on EPGY is finally dropping near 95% and one area is down to 75%. Darned esoteric parts of speech! I'm doing the happy dance while he is grumbling about having to look up a definition for the fourth time. Hooray for learning how to deal with frustration with schoolwork BEFORE college!

Hooray indeed! Yup, we get it ;-)

MountainMom, hooray for your daughter overcoming shyness and getting what she wanted done, too. I doubt my DS8 could do that now.

La Texican, it's actually much, much worse than that. If even here nobody "got" my brag that's double-wibble, so anyone who did understand what it was that DS realised might drop me a PM just to reassure me ;-)

Page 145 of 263 < 1 2 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh
    10/18/20 12:49 PM
    The Politics of Gifted Education
    by Eagle Mum