Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    My kid will start school soon smile

I'd like to thank Colinsmum for inciting me too google "define wibble" it's a great word.

I remember that last year I complained that they wouldn't let my son go to pre-k "a year early" even though he missed the cut-off by only a month.  I wanted to update instead of starting a new thread, but when I found the thread and realized that it was eleven pages long I thought that was a lot to wade through just to get to the point.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/110610/11.html

Today is early registration for pre-k for the upcoming school year.  We'll go this afternoon to sign him up.  One neighbor said they test them and don't let them in pre-k if they know too much.  

He writes all upper and lower case letters and punctuation already, although we're doing a page a day of handwriting without tears to correct formation (a b is not a 6) and when to use capital or lower case.  He does multiplication with a number line, addition with carrying with pencil, paper, and manupulitives.  Smaller addition and subtraction word problems in his head or with fingers. That same neighbor said just tell them he's advanced, maybe they'll put him in kindergarten.  I don't care where they put him I just hope they take him.  I've been telling him since last year he can go to school this year.   If they don't let him go I'm going to just ask if he can go for lunch time and recess.

Excited and nervous.  I want to get him an IQ test this year.  I don't think we'll do it before school starts because I want to go to Florida to see my mother and grandmother this summer and we have a budget choice for one or the other.  I was told where I can get testing cheaply so we can probably do it this year.

I wrote this yesterday and didn't post it.  It turns out early registration is just bring in your paperwork, they make copies, they give you the dress code and supplies list.  I got all worked up in my head for nothing.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    I'd like to thank Colinsmum for inciting me too google "define wibble" it's a great word.
    Lol, glad to be of service! Doing that myself I'm surprised to see that there are other definitions than the one I meant (which was the one with the Blackadder origin, explained in the Urban Dictionary, ftaod!)

Glad registration went smoothly.

Last edited by ColinsMum; 05/03/12 02:58 PM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    S
    Yay! I hope it is a positive experience, and I turned in my guy's kindergarten stuff today- a sweet feeling! smile

OP Offline
    I took it to mean a meaningless conversation but one that made you feel emotional, like if you don't want to read too much into it or say it really meant more than it did, but your chin did quiver a little from emotion.   
    Ololol... You meant he made he made you a little crazy at a loss for words. 

Reading more carefully I may have heard or seen the 3rd definition Urban Dictionary usage before. 
    Sarah .... *wibbles*

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    You meant he made he made you a little crazy at a loss for words.
    Yes, like: "Did he really just say what I think I heard? He can't have. But he did. OMG, what have I got here? Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhh < wibble wibble >". (It may be that this wibble needed an audience of mathematicians for me to expect people to get it, actually - did you understand the mathematical content? DH says he met complex logs at school, but I don't remember for sure whether I did, still less do I know whether everyone does. Certainly, I didn't understand the field well enough that I could have invented them! But I digress from your thread.)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    OP Offline
    Colinsmum i Echoed your wibble over in the brag thread just now.
    It was wibble worthy!  :)

Some friends and neighbors say approvingly, "he's smart.  He'll do well in school".  One neighbor said they test them and don't let them in pre-k if they know too much.  They didn't say anything like that at the registration.  

It's half-day pre-k.  I've been imagining in my mind already us riding bikes there together at 7:30 am to make sure he's settled in class by 8.  Then he'll come home at lunch time after spending some time relaxing at "his thing" without mamma and baby sister.  

I talked to one of the pre-k teachers briefly at a soccer game last year and I just asked, "I've been reading that a lot of schools are different than when I was in school.  I remember the little play centers".  She said they have the little play centers and they each kid to work with the teacher for about 15 minutes a day.   Sounds great!   

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM