Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    Last night he was very upset to the point of tears to find out that he had changed an answer from what we think was probably correct to an incorrect answer because he overthought it. I have been really amazed at how many of the multiple choice answers could be correct depending on how you read the question even on the practice pages he brought home during the review.

The pressure they are putting on the kids for these tests is terrifying. DS's understanding is that if his class doesn't do well, his teacher will lose her job. I keep trying to tell him that these tests are a test for the school that creates the school's report card. He needs to do the best he can, but not get too worked up over them.

We are going through the same thing. The teachers at DD's school have gotten the kids so worked up about this SAT/OLSAT testing, and it's just ridiculous. I know it matters to some extent, but it's not worth that. For us, it is a little high stakes because we do need DD to score well to qualify for gifted services. I know she's going to miss some questions, though, mostly due to overthinking. I just HATE standardized testing! The kids would do so much better if the teachers would lighten up a little.

Next week the kids have to take the ARMT (a state reading and math test). I don't know how much more of this I can take!

Hugs to your DS. My DD is a perfectionist, too, and she hates to get anything wrong. She missed a vocabulary word yesterday on the SAT, and she was really upset about it.

E
    E
    Thanks to all and Dottie who is living wild today it appears smile

I really don't think my son's classroom teacher would have said that her job was on the line. However, I think he may have picked up that impression from signs around the school and handouts to take home. Reading through them again and trying to think like DS they do come across alot more omonious than my initial reading. I also think I may need to explain the difference between proficient and perfect smile

Thanks again!

K
    K
    That is really sad that a child should have to feel that much pressure about a standardized test! This prepping for the test business is just ridiculous.

I also can think back to standardized testing as a child. I thought through every answer and would often think more than one answer could be correct! And then I would get stressed out and run out of time. I am glad I'm not a kid anymore! It was stressful.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by kimck
    I also can think back to standardized testing as a child. I thought through every answer and would often think more than one answer could be correct! And then I would get stressed out and run out of time. I am glad I'm not a kid anymore! It was stressful.
    Me, too! Did you know that the SAT-10 is now untimed? This is both good and bad, I suppose. DD said that testing takes forever because they have to wait on people to get done. She's not allowed to read a book while they wait. confused

Originally Posted by elh0706
    ...and Dottie who is living wild today it appears smile

Dottie: you should just write "a, Living la vida," since the site gives you "Loc:"!

LOL!

Kriston
    E
    E
    A short update:

I did talk to DS last night about the proficient, advanced and perfect.

We had a lapse back into our montessori nightmare. To show proficiency at his montessori school he had to complete the entire workbook error free and neat enough to meet the teacher's dictates. If he missed 1 answer anywhere in the book or it wasn't up to her standards of neatness, he had to redo the same book start to finish. Hence, DS's belief that if he made a mistake, he would have to go back to the beginning again and that proficiency meant perfect.

Also, I while I couldn't get a clear answer from him about the idea that his teacher would lose her job, I think he was probably creating a frankinstein smile

And as someone with a passion for landscaping, my first pick was A. Have you ever seen a floral clock, or some other design created using flowers? You must be very precise with your plantings for a good outcome. smile

As a multiple choice flunkee I probably would have gotten that question wrong. I don't know anything about basketball and would have been confused.
    I guess I am NOT smarter than an 8th grader!

Neato

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Of course....it might not be B! ROFL! DD13 actually liked the flower answer the best (but reluctantly selected B).

Grandma, I was just thinking of you....I of course didn't see the actual question, so my wording is not...ahem...precise, but I did think of you as I ended my version with a preposition, grin .

OK, I have to start signing my name. GS8 was talking before I could accept anyone using the 'G' word when addressing me! grin
    I still get unnerved when the grands say it!

Chris

Last edited by OHGrandma; 04/04/08 10:47 AM.
    E
    E
    ROFL,
    The only answer I could eliminate on that one was d. I would have answered c I think. I like to know how much is in my bank account to the penny smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM